Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on Richard Bona's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Hey everybody,I'm new here but this looks like a very cool site.I caught the Mike Stern band the other evening and was impressed by all the musicianship on the stage,Dennis Chambers was incerdible,as was Richard Bona on Bass,Iwas wondering if anyone out there knew what 5-string he was playing.Beautiful tone of couse he has alot to do with that,but I would be most grateful if anyone could help me out.Peace.... :)

2. I know he owns a Fodera 5'er. Was the bass you saw a single-cut?

3. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    I believe it was ,it was a natural finish and the top had that kind of rounded top and cut on the bottom

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    From what I've seen of it, I believe it's a Fodera Garrison-style singlecut 5 with a ramp between the pickups and a V-bass effect pickup attached by the bridge.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It's a standard Imperial, there is a picture of it right now on the talkbass main page.

6. Of the two times I saw Richard play, he also has a Green fretless Pensa Shur bass he played along with a fretted Fodera.

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Is it not a Beezlite fodera? At least thats what it looked like when I saw him over the summer.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, lookey there. If you watch the videos from IJazz, you can see the Vbass pickup and the ramp between the standard pickups.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'll have to check that out. :)

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    http://www.bonatology.com

lots of info and also a forum in which Richard contrbutes sometimes.

(site looks to be down right now)

Peace,
    JP

PS: Jérôme Wolf (TB member jojobass) also has some live pics of Richard on his site http://www.jeromewolf.com

11. the first time I saw him he had a 70s Jazz Bass. I get the sense that he owns a lot of basses.

12. Bona's main fretted bass is a Fodera Imperial 5 with ash body and Olive top. He has Bartolini on and he only plays his bass passive. He have install the ramp and a midi pick-up.
    He is great bassplayer and singer!

13. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Richard's fretted bass is an Imperial with an Olive top. The fretless that he's been playing for the last two years was made by New York Bass Works. They are both killer instruments.

Richard, of course, would sound fine on a Memphis; That guy is a monster!

14. +1 Bona is a bona fide monster on the bass - his fretless playing is utterly nuts - and whole scat-bass-playing thing is up there with Oteil - in other words; he's awesome.

15. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Thank you all for your help,This is a very cool ste...Peace to All :)

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    :confused:

I don't think Richard plays Noguera.

Peace,
    JP

17. On the CD "Reverence" Bona plays a Zon fretless. There is a nice picture of him holding it in the liner notes.

18. I saw him two years ago with Stern at the Iridium:

Fodera 5 singlecut

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Nice? Uh, I dunno. It kinda scared me! :eyebrow: :D

Sweet bassist. Best thing about him in my opinion is the sound and feel he injects into his playing, it's just so earthy and warm, very cool.