Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on the Fender 60's Classic Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billengelman, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Does anyone know the facts about the manufacturing of these basses. I know they have Mexico on the headstock, but I heard they were really made in a US factory and sent to Mexico for finishing, due to environmental issues. The pickguard screw spacing is the same as a newer MIA Jazz. The neck, which I love, is nothing like anything made in Mexico and the pickups are surely not Mexican or MIA Jazz bass pu's either. I have read they are the same ones that are on a Geddy Lee.
    Thanks

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 60's classic bass is a great offering from Fender. Mexico does not make Fender basses, bodies and necks are cut here and along with other parts are assembled in Mexico. The 60's bass has alnico pups in it, and is built to 60's jazz bass specs including bridge (multiple grooved saddles) tuners, pups and frets. Nice bass!

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The pickups are made in Mexico, but aren't the standard MIM offering. They're the same pickups as are on the Hwy1. The Geddy has American Vintage Series pickups.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So your telling me since they both have standard vintage alnico pups the MIA hwy1 bass has MIM pups? Alnico is what was used in early Fenders and some aftermarket pups including Lindy Fralins and Fender CS 60's, Why would they make this pup in Mexico and not even put them on the more expensive MIA basses? The classic 60's bass is assembled in Mexico while the hwy1 bass is assembled here.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm just assuming they're made in Mexico. The Hwy1 series has the same pickups as the Classic Series, afaik. The Hwy1 series mainly uses Mexican parts on the whole.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So now they make MIA basses with Mexican parts?
    :eek:

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe the hwy1 series is: parts made in the USA , but not the same parts that go on MIA fenders, but the ones that are sent to mexico to go in MIM fender, yet they are kept in the US and assembled there, in california or something?

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  9. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Back during the summer there was a great thread either here or in The Dude Pit (fender) that was a link to the Mexican factory. It walked you through all the manufacturing process and displayed how "state of the art" a plant it was. In this show it displayed every step of the process this plant does including CNC work for the necks and bodies right down to paint and plug in testing. Also the rejection process. Wish I saved the link. Maybe someone knows it.
    Also if you look in the Fender catalog at the two page spread after the bass section . It gives the specs of ever bass. The pickups for the 60's Classic are stated as "Standard Vintage". Now I don't have the book infront of me right now but the MIA 75' Vintage Series jazz has what they call "Amer.Vintage pickups" I believe is how they word it. These are also listed as being the same pickups in the Geddy.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

Standard vintage alnico
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?seek=electricbasses_classicseriesbasses

Click 60's Jazz, then click specifications.
    Here for 75RI specs
    Vintage Jazz bass pups
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0190302
    click specs