Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on this Fender Jazz MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beammeup, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

I wondered if any of you TB's could help me, with information and expirence.

The issue is this Fender Jazz Bass MIJ, I'm considering to buy.

I've been told, that it is a "Collectible 60's".

Please help :hyper:

2. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    A few more...

3. I can't tell much from you pics and info you gave. However, I have a (I think) '62 Reissue, MIJ, but it and the other MIJ 60's reissue's I've seen all have block inlays on the fretboard. That's about all I can tell you. Mine's probably worth about $ 500 US.

Mark

4. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi MarkMcCombs,

Thanks for your reply.

Would you recommend, that I buy it.
    - I mostly play Rock N' Roll.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How much would it cost?

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    The Sellers claims approx. $995, but I have a feeling that I only wanna pay half of that.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Denmark..hmm any idea how much American dollars that is?

8. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    That is the American price ;)
    $995

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Holy jeebus. Too much. To me that doesnt even look like any special jazz. Just a standard sunburst one with a different pickguard. Who knows though, but i would never pay that...

10. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Mjallow...

I'm getting the Serial No. tomorrow - that will hopefully clear some things up.

I'll post it here - perhaps some of you, would be kind to give me some add. information from that.

I'll be back :p

11. this deal smells of fish (fisk where you're at!)

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of a MIJ Jazz going for near that much. They say it's a 60's reissue/special, but I've never seen one that didn't have block inlays. Nothing adding up here.

If, and that's IF, it's a reputable MIJ Jazz, authorized by Fender, in good shape, and you've played it and are sure you like it, I'd think it's worth $ 400-500. Me, I think I'd run, not walk, away from this one.

Mark

12. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    When you could look at Fender basses on Ishibashi of Japans web site you could see all options and models that were offered. They had a 75' RI that had block inlays and a 60'something era RI that just had dot markers and was sunburst with that reddish tort. shell pickguard this one shows. I can't say block markers weren't offered in the 60's but I have never seen one. Even the current 70's era RI's that Fender offers in MIA are the ones that have blocks not the 60's era ones.
    I've also saved to file for my own future reference recent MIJ or Crafted in Japan Fenders that have sold for over $500 on E Bay in the last few months. I think the word is out that these are good quality basses.

13. This is a 60's reissue and it's a Tobacco burst not a Sunburst. I would not pay more than 650.00 USD for this bass, it is in excellent conditon though. If it's one of the first reissue's made, that would be the reason I would pay 650.00, the first were made the best quality wise, IMHO.

I can give you more info if I have the serial #, post that ASAP.....

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

And thanks for the effort to help me out.
    Here's the next clue :ninja:

Serial#: V028368 (I hope it's OK to post a serial no.)

From my reference it would be V+6 DIGITS = 1996-1997.

I'm looking forward to hear more from you.

15. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
  16. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    I'm really looking forward to hear from you :hyper:

17. I have 2 MIJ's - one "Crafted in Japan", the other "Made in Japan". These are considered the Japanese version of the 1962 re-issue. No "60's" reissues or originals have block inlays. Those only appear on the 70's reissues. Your bass has the dot inlays consistent with an early 60's Jazz

Yours is a Japanese reissue of a 1962 Jazz bass. These are great basses BUT they are NOT real re-issues. To paraphrase the great Fender historian Bill Bolton: "These basses can only be described as "in the style of" a '62 Jazz. The hardware is wrong and there are some other small differences. They cannot be considered a true re-issue." The first thing you'll notice is the tuners aren't vintage tuners. They even have a different post diameter than originals. But if it has the characteristic copper strip grounding the bridge, it's a re-issue.

18. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Hambone,

Thanks for your contribution.

Considering that you own a few of these - Would you recommend me, to buy it?

- And at what price?

19. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Treena,

The serial is; V028368.
    From my reference it would be '96 - '97?

Should I buy this thing?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

20. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi TB'ers,

I would really like to hear your input, since I'm considering to buy this bass badly :hyper:

Your expert knowledge is like gold to me.