1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Info on this Fender P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcdermott.rober, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Can anyone help me with some info on this bass? Things like what factory it was made in? I've heard so much about the "Fullerton" reissues, is this one of them?

This is a 1957 Reissue Fender Precision Bass. Based on the serial number and neck and body stamps (see below) I believe it was manufactured in the U.S. in 1989.

The serial number is V047701 and is on the neckplate.

The neck date stamp is March 21 1989 Hard to see in the pictures, but it's clear in person.

The body date stamp is Aug 17 and what looks like the top half of 1989 (the year portion of the stamp is kind of obscured but it would make sense that it is 1989)

Based on this info which I found on the Fender site, the serial number lines up with the neck date as you would expect.

V + 4 to 6 digits (U.S. Vintage Series) = 1982-1988 (neck date=exact year)
    V + 5 to 6 digits (U.S. Vintage Series) = 1989-present (model dependant)

Some markings from the pots: 250A-AUD and 019064 I'm not sure if that means anything to anyone, but I figure the more information the better.

Here is a web album of pictures of the bass:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcdermott.robert/57ReissueFenderPBass#

I own this bass and am considering selling it, but I'm seeing such a range in prices for basses that are close in profile that I want to find out more about it.

Any information folks can provide would be awesome.
    Thanks,
    RJM

2. An 89 would not be a Fullerton model. It may grab a higher price then an early 90's model but probably not by a whole lot.

I could be wrong it's been awhile since I have looked at reissues on ebay. I know that the Fullertons are hot hot hot and the rest are not as much.

3. Thanks Johnny..

I was hoping it was in that realm, but I figured it was a slim chance.

I was seeing the fullerton's going for $4K+.

4. I am not sure I have seen any of them that high myself but I have seen them up there.

I believe that the plant was moved in 85 so the Fullerton era reissues were mostly done in 84 with some trickling into 85. The prime years of interest for sales are 82 and 83 though.

I would bet an 89 would still sell a tad higher though just because it is now almost 20 years old. That's how old an actual 62 would have been when Fullerton reissued them.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, you can take a stroll through gbase and see a bunch of vintage shops slimeballing the prices of Fullerton stuff. :rollno:

But yeah the CBS/Fender factory in Fullerton is where they were made from 82-84. CBS sold Fender in Jan '85, and there was no factory for a while. The FMIC company then opened a new factory by '86 and resumed production.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    That PG sure isn't original, do you have the original gold guard?

I don't remember too many being in LPB either...

7. You're absolutely correct, the pick-guard is not original and I don't have the original andonized (or whatever they call it) one. I'm kicking myself but I somehow lost it over the years. I didn't like the look of the gold one and immediately replaced it when I bought it.

Is LPB Lake Placid Blue? Is that the official name for the color?

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I recently sold my '62RI that was built in '89. It sold for just over $1000 and took a couple of weeks advertised on TB and another forum to get a bite. There was a "Fullerton" RI in great condition advertised on TB a while back for $1700. I'm not sure if it ever sold.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    LPB=Lake Placid Blue

I've only ever recalled seeing them in Fiesta Red, White Blonde, Black, and Sunburst. Of course, don't quote me on this!:D