Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

info on unusual hohner(?) custom fretless on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beadgc, Aug 9, 2005.

1. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm curious about this bass -- neck and body evidently made out of a single piece of wood, no truss rod, etc, obviously a custom job, and wonder if any of the gurus on the forum know anything about.
    [​IMG]
    Not in the market myself, having just bought an mtd 635 fretless, but i've never seen anything quite like this and wonder who built it.

more pix at
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Custo...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. It must have a truss rod. It has a trussrod cover.

3. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Right you are. So much for the guy's description, which seems pretty uninformed in general.......

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks like a plain old Hohner BBass that's been modified a bit.
    - frets removed and marker strips added
    - BBass logo removed and replaced by, or just plain covered up by, the "custom nameplate".

BBasses are neck-thru, and while not one piece of wood, the joint between the neck beam and the wings could easily be near-invisible. BBasses used to be available in plain maple stained to this walnut color, and also in plain maple, which could have been stained when the fretless job/removal of logo on body were done. They were also available painted solid color.

Current Hohner BBass site is here:
    http://www.hohnerusa.com/gbassbbass.htm
    but, in the past, they were only available in plain maple, no fancy tops, w/ or w/o stain or painted, as described above.

- noone (IMO) would have a full-custom-from-scratch bass made modeled after the BBass. While they're not bad, there is nothing remarkable about them.
    - noone (IMO) would have a full-custom-from-scratch bass made and use scavenged BBass electronics in it, which are arguably the weakest feature of the BBass.

"I won’t tell you the name since he lost it and I don’t want to make him famous for that" sound to me like total BS. The fact that the owner will not divulge the name on the plaque, or give a clear picture of it, tells me that he or she is wary that the instrument may be stolen.

"CUSTOM FRETLESS 5-STRING BASS" "modeled on the Hohner BBass" is total BS. It still has the Hohner "H" on the headstock.

IMO, this is most likely stolen. Seller's items are two guitars, some stamps, and a sword- possibly home break-in material.

5. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    PJ- Thanks. "Mystery" solved -- and yeah, it does sound fishy.

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    "We want... information."

"You can't have it!"

;)

7. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey-- anther "Prisoner" fan! My daughter gave me the entire series on videocassette last Christmas. Only problem is, every time I watch an episode, I start gassing for a Lotus Super Seven.

Be seeing you );

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Great series. Looks like the DVD box is going for $95. Maybe Christmas.