Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Infomercials? (Sponsored Threads)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Mar 9, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Is this the wave of the future? Yuck.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    C'mon Ray, get with the program-there's just no more room in the margins.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am tired myself of all the auto parts ads and for that matter used car ads cluttering up the place. I cannot imagine why anyone would renew a supporting membership with all that stuff floating around.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm still just happy to have a place to clutter up, but that's just me. Have you guys tried using the "New posts in subscribed forums" search feature? It takes a minute to set up, but once it's there, it does save a lot of wear and tear when surfing the site.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have Chris and it is a great option !

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Words amaze me. Let's take, for example, the word "thread"... The Yahoo dictionary defines it, when used in the Computer Science field, as:

"A set of posts on a newsgroup, composed of an initial post about a topic and all responses to it."

Now, a "sponsored thread" would imply a thread, with responses. However, the current invention does not allow the users of this newsgroup to respond. Not really a thread, more of "lint."

Ray Parker has an strong candidate for the new invention, but the good ol' Yahoo dictionary defines "infomercial" as:

"A relatively long commercial in the format of a television program."

Hmmm, a real conundrum. Maybe we have the fertile grounds for a new "computer science" word! "Sponsored Sticky" would suffice, but it doesn't really capture the annoying nature of this new invention. Ideas anyone?

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Maybe not, but it does remind one of the glossy bass mags in Paul W's bathroom. Besides, it beats the hell out of "Lint".

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    How about 'Dog Pile'?

9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sponsored Dog Pile?

10. Me too.
    I enjoyed seeing pictures of K. C. Strings' facility, instruments, etc. I think Paul is justified in selling this sort of advertising to support the site.
    What is it you guys object to? Can't be the nature of the 'thread', it's bass related, it's not like they're hawking food processors or junk jewellry. Nomenclature? Let's call it something else. Location? Maybe there should be a seperate forum for 'sponsored threads', or whatever ya wanna call 'em. I'd be interested to see more pictures of repairs and repair shops.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That's the best feature. I no longer have to read threads about Amps, Basses or Strings on the BG side, and I can quickly peruse what I might be interested in in the DB side.

12. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Nice Fuqazation of CF, guess it's the same skill as decoding WWBBD.
    We object to commercialization and advertising in some form. Mainly when it becomes aggressive. Of course that is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. I keep coming back to the movies, it is now de riguer fro there to be burger king commercials etc. in the theater that you just forked over big bucks for a mediocre movie. How did that happen? No one objected, well I did but no one listened. What if I want to put a big billboard up on the street across you from your house? You'll object-how about down the street? Well, if that guy doesn't object the board goes up and then his neighbor gets used to it and one goes up in front of his house. It gets closer and closer till there is one infront of your house whether you wanted it or not. There used to be no advertisements here. Then there was one. Then ithey filled up the borders. Now one is cheesily veiled as a "sponsered thread" . Sorry, Paul I respect you and all and I think you are a genius. But advertising often flirts with deception[sometimes it even has s#x with it]. "Sponser" sounds very nice-it's a benevolent word. A sponser gives you money to complete your walk in a cancer marathon. And "thread"? We love threads here, we start 'em-we keep 'em going They are the essence of TB. But what we have here is not a "thread" by any stretch of the imagination, it is a PAID ADVERTISEMENT!!! In disguise. At least the other ads are what they are, they even say advertisement. I am sorry but this is just plain deception. If it is-
    A. OK to have a full plate of advertisements.
    B. OK to use ads that masquerade as something else.
    What's C.? and D., E., and F.?

Why object. One of my favorite TV shows is Futurama. For those who don't know it it is an animated tale of a hapless guy who is accidentily sent a thousand years in the future. One of the plotlines involve him having the overwhelming urge to buy a certain brand of underwear. Turns out that the underwear company beams commercials intohis brain while he is dreaming. Turns out that no one else is surprized because it is "de riguer".

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, see, that's the funny thing: when I first found TB just a few short years ago, I was happy as hell to find a place that had links and connections to all sorts of other bass related sites. When they asked me to be a mod down here, the first thing I did was to start a bunch of the "Newbie Links" threads so new people could find stuff easily. I remember how thrilled I was the first time I found Bob G's double bass links page, and started following those links all over hell and creation - now I worry that if I mention Bob's name or jokingly say "ALL HAIL" that somebody from the BG side is gonna PM me and warn me about spamming.

For me, the bottom line is that it's great to have a place to go where you can feel "near to" or "connected to" all of these places that sell stuff for DB - we sure as hell don't have places like that in KY. :meh: And I'd be all for a dedicated place for sponsored forums where people could post all of the reviews they wanted, ask questions, whatever...if it was set up to be about that in the first place, and everybody knew it, then those who were interested could go there and those who were not could avoid it like the plague. But that's another story..

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Slippery slope and clever folk.

Right now it might be easy to pick out a 'Sponsored Thread' (ST) , but that may change. Right now an ST is at the top of the forums where they can be pigeon-holed as an ad, but that may change. Right now I don't receive email when an ST goes up. That may change as well. And once the door is open -- are 'Sponored Posts' an eventuality? (...as long as they relate to the topic, of course)

Here's a thought -- and being a 'recovering programmer' I know both how simple and how complicated this could be with an application the size of TB.

Free memberships: Ads at will.
    1st level, paid: Banner and border ads.
    2nd level, paid: Banner ads.
    Benevolent Saint, paid: No ads at all.

That'd bump my membership up a notch -- broke or otherwise -- in as long as it takes a check to reach the billing dept. of TB.

15. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I'm chuckling right now. No disrespect towards the "sponsor", in fact I personally love their products, but have any of you noticed the number of views of those stickys? Sez something about the people here if you ask me.

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Where was the Infomercial in question? I've forgotten where it is.

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Never mind. I found it. It looks like it might be a short-lived phenom.