Information about Carruther's EUB's

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Zoroaster03, May 16, 2003.

1. I'm playing BG at the moment; I'm sixteen, and i only got into the bassist profession about three years ago. The bassist my teacher plays with on Sunday afternoons has a Carruther's bass (check spelling). He said that Geoff, Patrick's friend, bought it from America for a little over $4000 AUD. i played around on Geoff's bass and thought the DB was the coolest thing since FiElDy*, and I was wondering what people here thought of them. I thought it to be a completely different monster to what I am playing, of course, but it just seemed so very daunting to play. I'm only 5'5" if anything, and this bass seemed to be about six foot... scary stuff. Also this one was a five string - is this also becoming a trend with DB's as it is with BG's?

I did a search, but nothing specific came up. Oh, and please be gentle, I'm not familiar with any DB terms you might have.:D

* j/k, of course.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wheew! That's an ugly one!! ;)

Just my personal opinon... you know!!
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I own a Carruthers 4 strings since about 2.5 years now. I like it much better now that I've had the fingerboard scoop reworked by a luthier.
    Also, the tone is better (to me) with orchestral strings.
    The endpin can be slipped into the instrument so height isn't an issue. I play mine seated on a drummer's throne...