Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Information about Carruther's EUB's

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Zoroaster03, May 16, 2003.

1. I'm playing BG at the moment; I'm sixteen, and i only got into the bassist profession about three years ago. The bassist my teacher plays with on Sunday afternoons has a Carruther's bass (check spelling). He said that Geoff, Patrick's friend, bought it from America for a little over $4000 AUD. i played around on Geoff's bass and thought the DB was the coolest thing since FiElDy*, and I was wondering what people here thought of them. I thought it to be a completely different monster to what I am playing, of course, but it just seemed so very daunting to play. I'm only 5'5" if anything, and this bass seemed to be about six foot... scary stuff. Also this one was a five string - is this also becoming a trend with DB's as it is with BG's?

I did a search, but nothing specific came up. Oh, and please be gentle, I'm not familiar with any DB terms you might have.:D

* j/k, of course.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wheew! That's an ugly one!! ;)

Just my personal opinon... you know!!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ouch!

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I own a Carruthers 4 strings since about 2.5 years now. I like it much better now that I've had the fingerboard scoop reworked by a luthier.
    Also, the tone is better (to me) with orchestral strings.
    The endpin can be slipped into the instrument so height isn't an issue. I play mine seated on a drummer's throne...