1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Information on Hermann Stotzel

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jim Calhoun, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Greetings!

I'm thinking of buying a new bass. The one I'm looking at belongs to a friend of mine. It looks like a large German shop bass (gamba shape, flat back, outer linings). This bass had some significant work done a few years ago. including a new neck block, sound post, bridge, and (gasp!) refinishing. The bridge placement was "fudged" about an inch towards the neck but even so, the current string length is 42.5 inches (oddly enough, this bridge placement results in a perfect "D" neck. Must have been a "Db" neck before....). Inside there is a rectangular label saying "Hermann Stolzel, Bass und Cellobauer, Markneukirchen anno 1926 (with the "26" being hand written). There is also a separate label on the crossbar saying "Made in Germany".

I know that Markneukirchen is a well known area for instrument making in Germany. I searched on Google and all I found was one bass for sale by this maker, so I guess my first question is whether Hermann is a real person or if this is just a trade name used by an importer, like Juzek.

I'll try to post some pics soon (never done it before so that will be a new experience....). Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this subject.

Jim

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I have a client with a very nice Stolzel (pr. Shtut-zel, I think). His is labeled 1936, and has a round back. Unfortunately the original scroll was lost. Nicely made, great wood, nice varnish. Excellent pizz tone. The bass is well-loved by its owner.

3. Thanks, Arnold! I like this bass and will probably buy it if we can come to an agreement on price and if I can arrange financing. In the meantime I'll try to post some pics anyway, just to see if someone might have more info. Thanks again.

Jim