Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Infrasound from a bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tomi, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Does the open F# string produces any (minimal) infrasound (a “sound” below 16 Hz)? The freq. of low F# is 23.12 Hz, so the octave lower would be an “infranote” (ultra low F#) with freq. of 11.56 Hz. Would the open F# string be resonated treating with ultra low F# infrasound?
    Sorry guys, if the question is stupid but I am just curious.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    damn it Jim I'm a bassist not physicist! Beam me an abacus.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmm...ServoDrive Inc.'s "Contrabass" supposedly
    has a useable response down to 14Hz.

I dunno how you could verify it outside a lab environment.
    Maybe set up a wall of `em out on the Serengeti plains and
    start ta' wailin'. If a herd of elly-phants come a runnin'...
    there ya' go :) . Mind ya' don't hit the "Brown sound". Yeesh! :eek:

4. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks notduane, the ServoDrive Inc.'s subwoofer is an interesting thing. Maybe I'll order a pair of them.:D
    Anyway, the infrasound could be quite dangerous. The freq. of human vascular system is 7-8 Hz, so a strong infrasound with this freq. can kill you (internal bleeding)! Ask Pentagon...

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the more expensive version of the bag end ELF system is flat down to 8 hz (serious power hog), i've played my low F# equipped basses numerous times through this setup, i'm not dead yet. :D

6. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    man, i thought my little hartke kickback making smoke detectors fall off the ceiling was impressive enough!

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Does an ordinary E string resonate at 10 or 5 Hz?
    Who will ever know? Probably not even those who die from it:(

Seriously, every rig should be made able to reproduce well down to approx 18 Hz.

Lower is no use, less low is no fun.

9. I read somewhere that muting the low strings and moving them around over the pickup can create very low frequencies that can trash your speakers in a high power environment. The recommendation was to put a low frequency filter in the circuit to prevent this.

JT, low F#... geez... I guess those of us playing those open low B's need to redefine again...

I built my cabs for flat (-1dB) to 28 Hz, and (-3dB) at 25 Hz, thinking I would never be going lower than 31 Hz (low B). Low F# is down around 23 Hz... hummm baaaby..

The problem with ported boxes is they dramatically unload below the box tuning frequency. Below that frequency, the drivers just flop around like they are in open air. This lets subsonic rumbling destroy the drivers.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's why bag end uses closed box enclosures for their elf systems. they then boost the frequencies as they get lower by the same amount and at the same -3db frequency point as the box cuts them, enabling them to be flat down to either 8 Hz or 18 Hz depending on the system.

11. Yep. That's why the Bag Ends cost the Big Bux, and suck up the power. IMO, the Bag End ELF is the best cabinet engineering available today.

They offer a tighter cone control than can be had with a ported box, with the added benefit of subsonic rumble control.

Lay your wallet on the counter... they might give you back the leather part, but they will keep the green stuff..