Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ingrown Index Finger

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SBassman, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Unbelievable. I have an ingrown index finger nail.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I'm in my 40's. It's really hurting now, and I have a gig tomorrow night.

I could barely practice tonight - I'm in a bit of trouble.

I tried to find some OTC stuff, but I failed so far.

Can anyone tell me:

- Something good to heal it and keep it from getting infected
    - Something topical to stop the pain instantly - for tomorrow night

[OTC remedies only]

Thanks.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have had good luck with first cleaning it out with peroxide, then applying a bandage over some triple antibiotic ointment. Keeping it clean is job #1. I've also done an epsom salt soak to knock down the swelling first.

I get a lot of peeling and busted cuticle problems so now I use a good lotion to keep my hands from drying out, and I keep nail trimmers everywhere. You don't want to cut the ends too close because that can cause the ingrown nail.

3. you have an ingrown index finger?
    yikes...

:)

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm afraid so. Before a couple of days ago, I never even Heard of such a thing. As I Google, I see it Does happen occasionally.

I can tell this is not going to go away any time soon.
    Even when the pain gets to the point where I can sort of
    ignore it, it's still going to be visible for some time. Kinda sucks, and it will probably put a significant damper on my gig tonight.

I have used some topical treatments today, and tonight I will use some internal Alcohol treatments to assist. ;)

5. Use "ambesol" or some other oral relief gel. A double edge razor blade can be bent into a nice curve to cut out hang nails and remove the callouses that caused the ingrown nail.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks, everyone.

7. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

i thought the same thing. :D

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ok, I'm a little slow. There should have been the word Nail added to the thread subject. :D

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Of course i'm no Dr. and this is not medical advice, But i have had an inrown finger nail on my middle fretting finger a few times. I used a double edged razor blade... broke it in half and simply cut the thing out. Keep it clean... triple antibiotic, peroxide. Or you could just go see a Dr.

10. try having 5 ingrown big toe nails... sometimes, two at a time, one on each foot.. its horrible.. they have to got that entire side of the nail off.. all the way down to the cuticle... the last time i ever got one, i got it on both sides of the nail so they cut out the entire nail.. damn it was horrible...

guess ur gig has to either be canceled, or just try to not pick with it.. slamming it around will make it sooooooo much worse...

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Well, I just got back from the gig. I think God threw me a bone.

After doing some, ahem, treatments myself, it progressed rapidly from - I can't play - to - if I'm careful how I angle my finger, I don't feel any pain at all.

That, plus some alcohol treatments in advance of the gig - did the job.

I feel very grateful that it turned out so well because I was really spooked yesterday.

:bassist:

12. great to hear :) but i think u should still get it checked out before it gets worse, because it will.. its a nail and they keep growing

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks. But that would require good common sense, which I am trying to avoid. When it involves doctors.

:p

14. u can do what i did when i was 9, try and grab teh door knob of a slamming door behind you only to have the door smash on ur finger and crack the nail right at the base... ouchies...

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And that would help how?

16. it would pop the fingernail out, at no charge to you or your health care agent

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What kind of Doctor would you go to for your Hands?

18. wow... i dont know lol

i guess youd go to a reguler doctor, or a hospital..

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Handologist?
    Fingeriatrist?

Just joshin. ;)