Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ingrown Toe nails

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh_s08, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Anyone ever had them? I have one now. Whats it like to have a doctor operate on it?

2. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    Funny enough I was thinking of mine earier on I'll prob cut the nail or rip the skin ouch so that I can get at the nail:eek: :(

3. how can you get them? (never had one)

4. I had one that got infected so bad the doc had to remove the entire nail. It eventually greback, but it was nasty. I still get them from time to time, but I make sure they never get that bad.

When I had mine operated on, they numbed my toe with 2 shots. Shots really don't hurt, just a slight pinch and its over. The actual operation took less than 10 minutes. I couldn't feel anything, but I could hear it. I didn't look at it, but I could hear squishy sounds. It was kinda gross. I could also feel the doc tugging on my toe a little, and that was just wierd.

It hurt a little bit afterwards, after the drugs wore off. Make sure yu keep the bandage damp while its on there. You're nail bed seeps and blleds a little, and it it dries out, the bandage will get stuck to your nail bed and it hurts like a mofo to get it off again.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A friend of mine in the Navy had the worst ingrown in possibly the entire history of the universe. He kept going to the sick call clinic days that would deal with toenail-type problems, and the doc would just look at it and go 'Mnyaaah! That one is way too bad for me to do! Come back next week and have ________ do it. He's more experienced.'

This kept going on for weeks. We were in C-school in San Diego. The barracks we were in had cleaning ladies and we could have booze in our lockers. Lots of freedom and luxury compared to our previous assignments.

So anyway, Mark comes to me with a fifth of rum and a plan. He says' I'll drink until nothing hurts and then you just pull up this side of my toenail with these needlenoses and clip it with these dykes.'

It sounded like a reasonable plan to me. But I had been drinking too.When he felt numb enough I tried it and the whole nail popped right off.

They're not attached as well as you would think.

And they bleed.

A lot.

Also there was some blood still on the floor(deck, we were Navy) when we both left to go to Tijuana, and the ancient little Phillipina cleaning lady saw it and thought Marks roommate had murdered him and put him in the locker.

That day is a lot of the reason I quit drinking.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

They usually come because you cut your toe nails too short, and the nail starts growing under the skin on the corners.
    Pretty nasty, hurts like a b**ch.

7. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    The quarterback for my high school team hasn't cut his toenails since we lost in game five. Last night was game ten, is that bad? We actually lost 7-6 so I'm thinking he might cut them now, they're pretty nasty...

8. I used to get them for like three years straight when i was younger. Then they went away. The surgery wasnt that bad, just like whats his name said. A pinch then thats all you feel. It was a long time ago tho. But you know what sucks? one is starting again. damn toe...

9. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    I only have them on my 2 big toes.

10. ditto... one is bad, but not to bad and the other is not painful at all.

11. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've had/have them also. I had 2 removed surgically. They hurt a bit more than the people here said, but it was infected so the shot may not have numbed it up as much, plus I only got one shot.

Now I just wait for the nail to grow out enough, then clip it out myself. It's a bit painful, but it beats spending the dough (or the insurance) and time to get it removed. Live and learn.

12. I have horrible toenails. I had a podiatrist remove the worst one a few years ago. The process itself isn't too bad. The doctor numbs the toe with local anesthetic, and just pulls it off. He also cauterized the nail bed, so the nail will never grow back.
    The healing process is the hard part. Keeping your toe clean and dry is difficult, and it takes a couple of months before it fully heals. I used Neosporin powder, that comes in a little bottle like a salt shaker. The only problem with that is that if it gets wet, it adheres the bandage to the toe like wallpaper paste.
    I should probably have a few more nails taken off, but the first one was such a hassle, I've been putting it off.

13. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    I see one of my friends big toe with the nail removed that scared me:eek:

14. Never had ingrown toenails, but I had warts from Hell. I had them for a about a year and I just thought they were callouses. My mom (a nurse) looked at them one day and made me an appointment with the podiatrist. I had about 4 or 5 on my big and "index" toe and a couple near the heel. Once a week for about 5 or 6 weeks I went it to get painful acid treatments, followed by scraping. The doctor always managed to scrape away skin that wasn't dead yet. :eek: My foot was mummified from all of the tape and gauze on it. It's not fun to have tape removed from a hairy part of your foot, either. I hope that never happens again!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've had them twice and can advise on the merits of two different treatments.

So the first time, had problems both big toeneails and was referred to the local hospital. They asked me what I did and at teh time I was student - and thety said oh that alright then we'll do both right away! If you had to work and walk about we would have done one now and the other when that had healed. :rolleyes:

So - they did the anaesthetic quickly and when they started cutting I could still feel it - I yelled!! Eventually they gave me more shots and did it - removed both nails - but I couldn't walk out. And when it wore off it was agony and I couldn't walk for weeks - came back to have the bandages off and it was mess - my friends complained when we went to the beach!! ;)

But the worst thing about this was the nails grew back and eventually I got the problem again - but there was no way I was going through tha again!

However, I was plagued with back problems which were made worse by exercise or even walking. After many years and seeing loads of people, I got a physiotherapist who diagnosed that problems with my feet - the way I walked (because of constant pain from my toenails) were causing my back problems.

I explained that I had had the nails removed and it came back - but he said that this was not the answer - go to a podiatrist and they do an operation where they remove part of the nail and put some stuff in the nail bed as Dan described to stop that part regrowing.

The only thing in the UK, is that the National Health Service doesn't really cover this - so you have to pay - cost me about £150 ($225) per toe!! But I must say it was worth it - much better treatment and after-care - and it really worked. The ingrowing part has not grown back after 3 years and I have also been free of back pain. The way I was walking had unbalanced my pelvis, so I was straining my back every time I walked any distance!!

Anyway - the moral is go to a Podiatrist and not the (normal) doctor or hospital!

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch!!!!!

As a general rule I'm not squeamish, I'm generally OK even if it is my blood. But toenails and fingernails - they really get me going and feeling woozy for some reason.

I'm so glad I have never had the mis-fortune to have ingrown ones - and my sympathy to all of you that have!!

:eek:

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The worst part was as I said when I went back to the hospital to have the bandages off, first time round on the NHS.

So if the pain wasn't bad enough; they made the "unveiling" a public thing - so we all had to sit in a long line of chairs in a big room - maybe about 20 fellow sufferers - and then they went along the row taking stuff off where they could.

All those shocked faces as they saw the horrible squidgy mess that was now their big toe(s) - plus the smell after 2-3 weeks where they told us not to have showers or get our feet wet in any way!!

Then there were the bits and pieces left....I could go on!! :eek:

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

**Large fudump as Johnny BoomBoom hits the floor( and remember Johnny is a 6 feet tall 210lb bassplayer with a goattee and a shaved head!)**

Yuk!!!!:eek:

**JBB comes round and looks for somewhere to vomit!**

19. I've never had ingrown nails, just smashed flat nails. Which is even worse, cause when you pull them off the body has been trying to heal underneith, so it's full of nasty stuff, yellow and runny.

Ugh.:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

20. The worst part was as I said when I went back to the hospital to have the bandages off, first time round on the NHS.

So if the pain wasn't bad enough; they made the "unveiling" a public thing - so we all had to sit in a long line of chairs in a big room - maybe about 20 fellow sufferers - and then they went along the row taking stuff off where they could.

All those shocked faces as they saw the horrible squidgy mess that was now their big toe(s) - plus the smell after 2-3 weeks where they told us not to have showers or get our feet wet in any way!!

Then there were the bits and pieces left....I could go on!!

oh you are so mean so very very mean. you did that to be just so mean i love it:D :) :p