Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inherent differences for lefty?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peter Squire, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Hi

Did a search, but no result here. I was just wondering whether there are any inherent differences in building a lefty bass?

Do you just mirror image the template or are there any other things that building a lefty entails?

I notice that on my MIJ Jazz, the pots rotate clockwise while on my SR5 they rotate counter-clockwise. Anything else?

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    baisically, it's just opposite of righty. the headstock is fliped, the nut, the tuners, strings, body, pickup angles if aplicable, on a guitar, the tremelo is different, and yes, the pots have to be wired in the opposite direction so that a left handed player still rolls the knob forward to turn up the volume or tone.

If you're a righty, imagaine you're playing in front of a mirror. (and vica versa if you're a lefty) the bass you're reflected image plays is identical to yours in all ways, but everything is flipped