Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Initial D

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Dec 3, 2003.

1. At my arcade they have some game called Initial D, its a japanese mountain racing game that i have become absolutely addicted to. The basis of the game follows a japanese movie or tv series that i hear is mighty popular in japan and is gaining solid ground in the US. I'm just curious if anyone out here on the board has played that game. Its a good racing sim game and a ton of fun to play. The story mode of the game is really competitive and makes you learn drifting and other racing techniques if you want to win

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It is based on an anime of the same name, the anime is really addicting to watch because each episode bleeds into the next episode, and it's really easy to watch(not a lot of thinking involved)

the anime series, uses Cgi for the Drift battles, and it has some of the most realistic car physics I've ever seen.

Initial D is kind of like the charlie parker of drift racing, every wouldbe american drift racer finds their way to it, and what not.

http://lfs.racesimcentral.com/

is a very awesome racing sim, that is very reminiscent of initial D, that is, a big crowd of the players are big initial D fans. :p

3. Have you ever played the arcade game version? If not, i suggest you go to Jillian's in Boston behind Fenway park and play it.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    only a fellow lefty could be so resourceful!

5. :D

I know they have it from a friend of mine that went there last week.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Two words:

hachi roku!

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

:cool: x10

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    whatever you do, don't buy the dubbed version of the DVD's. they are, quite possibly, the worst overdubs i have ever had the displeasure of viewing. Iggy? Tack? ***?!

if you want to watch it, just go on kazaa or whatnot and type 'initial d' - you'll be able to find every single episode online with subtitles. MUCH better.

9. Explain?

In english.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Hachi Roku is the car that Takumi drives.

it is an '86 Toyota Trueno, that has been heavily modified by his dad(unbeknownst to takumi) and tuned for drifting.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    "hachi roku" translated means "eight six". It comes from AE86, or the chassis designation for the toyota he drives. In the North American market it was the '85-'87 Corolla GT-S.

12. Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I know that the AE86 is a nasty car in the game but i prefer the RX-7(FD3S). that car is sick!

13. My brother loves the show, but I can't say anything about the game.

I'm personally not into all that stuff, so I can't really say much about it.

My brother says the Cantonese dubs on the anime are pretty good, though. :p