Initial Impression: Mesa Scout 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillisCool, Apr 16, 2005.

1. BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I just got a 15" Scout combo Thursday... I played it at a gig last night with it and I'm still completely blown away today.

Blues band, vocal only PA. About 60 people in a small club. Never turned it up past 1. Kept the bass about at 12 o'clock.

Completely tight and focused sounding. Totally unbelievable warmth. Dig in and get a nice tube sound.

I was skepticle of the 12" model so I ordered the 15". Carpet doesn't seem to matter (carpet at the gig, hardwood at home) and the 15 is very tight sounding. WAY more volume than I probably ever need.

I also play in a classic rock band, an alternative rock band, and an original bluesy type band. I'd be happy to post my results with other types of music and PA setups.

Hands down best amp I have ever bought. This will totally replace my 410 SVT setup that I was using before.

Oh, and it fit's in the back seat of my girlfriends Toyota Corolla.
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I also enjoy the tone and power of my Walkabout Scout (12"). However, I do have some caveats after owning it for 6 months, playing a few gigs with it, and practicing/rehearsing with it several times/week. In reverse order of concern:

1. Playing on top of anything but a hard surface totally defangs this amp. When I play on carpet, I take a flat board with me that is big enough to cover the footprint of the amp. Assuming what BillisCool said is correct, perhaps the 12" needs the passive radiator for bottom end more than the 15" does.

2. The leather handle of my second Walkabout (out of the 3 I've owned in six months) has totally had its stitching come loose on the bottom of the handle, presumably from carrying it regularly.

3. My first Scout was taken back in less than a week after purchase. After playing it for a minute or two, it would completely stop making sound of any kind. Guitar Center took it back and gave me a completely new one, which did not have that problem at all. They later told me it was some kind of loose wire.

4. I was playing my second Scout at rehearsal the other day. Passive bass, Gain set at 11:00, Bass at 1:00, Middle and Treble flat, Volume at 9:00, not set on 9 out of 10, maybe 2 out of ten. Was playing normally and creased/blew the cone. Took back to the Guitar Center again, and without any big problem, they gave me a whole new one rather than just fix that one's cone. (Kudos to Towson, MD Guitar Center.)

So, do I like it? Yes, it sounds great and packs a lot of power in a small package. Am I getting gunshy of it? Yep.
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have my 12" Scout for almost 2 years now. I am very happy with this amp. I also had a lemon that would just shut down...I also returned it to GC and they replaced it ... I never found out what the problem with he original amp was.

As Tjones mentioned the passive radiator needs a hard surface to get the full range of sound...if it sits on a carpet it sucks all high freq's up...

The 15" version was not available when I purchased mine..I would have gone with the 15" thats my favorite cab..a single 15" ..but i have no complaints with the 12"...

I look forward to hearing the 15" version...
  4. BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, I really liked the sound of the 12", but I wasn't sure it was going to cut it as a full replacement for the SVT setup. I'm nothing but satisfied with this amp.