1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Initial impressions: L-2000 Tribute

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by mikeyvr6, Nov 6, 2006.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    It's been a long time coming. I've played the heck out of my Geddy Jazz for the last few years and love it to death. But with new cover projects playing different genres, I've been itching for something different. My first thought was to get a Jaguar--similar neck profile to the Geddy, active and passive, great looks, etc. But then I remembered playing a Bongo about a year ago for the first time. I heard the possibilities that a double humbucker configuration could give me, and it was a sound I couldn't get out of my head after all this time. The hunt was on...and after all was said and done, this showed up today:

[​IMG]

G&L dealers with anything in stock are a rarity here in Wisconsin. Last week I spent Saturday driving around to every music store I could think of in Milwaukee and my search turned up one used USA L-2000 and no Tributes. I was able to spend five minutes unplugged with said L-2000 and the feel of it alone sealed the deal.

[​IMG]

Everywhere I turned on the web people were saying the Tributes are such a great value. After spending a couple hours with it I firmly agree. It weighs a little bit less than the Geddy Jazz. The blueburst finish is absolutely gorgeous. Nice tight pocket for the six bolt neck and the fretwork is 100% perfect. All the hardware has a very solid feel and look to it. My only worry was the thickness of the neck. After playing the slim neck of the Geddy for the last four years straight I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get used to the G&L. It honestly took about 10 minutes to start feeling like home. It came set up with higher action than I'm used to, but I think I'll try to adapt. I've been digging in harder lately and appreciate not having to worry as much about clanking.

[​IMG]

Tone-wise it's a friggin monster. Everything from in-your-face growl to a mellow thump is available, and I think genuinely usable. I'm enjoying the bridge pup soloed, series, active, and a bit of bass boost for those 80s rock tones. Right now it seems like my "base tone" will be both pups on, parallel, active, a bit of bass and a little bit more of treble. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

After the first day, I can honestly say I'm thrilled with the purchase. I was looking for an opposite to the Geddy and I found it. The true test of course will be at the gig, of which I have two this weekend with different bands playing different material. But as of right now, I declare it a keeper.

My two loves:

[​IMG]

2. Feel free to tell us how it sounds through that nice Ampeg stack!

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    ThAt is one of the best looking Tribs I've seen! Just remember that EQing is TOTALLY different with the G&L compared to the Geddy, start flat!

4. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Thanks Lug! At least it doesn't suck. :D I got the hang of the boost-only EQ right off the bat. I did my research!

And yes Phyrexian, it sounds fantastic through the Ampeg V-4/8x10. I love mixing modern and vintage style gear.

5. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Nice review, pretty bass. Just so you're aware, the EQ is passive, cut only. It is a bass cut on one pot, and a treble cut on the other. I know it sort of feels like a boost, but it isn't. I run mine with no battery, as the active output is so freakin' hot it makes my amp break up. Also, this gives me a free "kill" switch....

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Cool! What store did you end up picking it up at?

7. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Cut only...yep I've learned that since I wrote that post. Looks like I did my research in the wrong place. :oops:

I ended up ordering it from Oklahoma Vintage Guitar . Nice folks to deal with!

8. LJ Thilver

LJ Thilver

Nov 1, 2006
    I just picked up an L-2000 off eBay and I want to get this straight before it arrives... So the cut only EQ means if the bass and/or treb knob is all the way up, it is technically flat? And if it's all the way down it's just cut a lot?

9. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Correct with the exception of the active w/treble boost switch engaged. But don't worry, the MDF pups have more bottom than almost any pup I've ever tried and great presence. The preamp acts more as a line amp to make sure you get a hot signal no matter how long your chord, etc. I like active wo/treble boost and series for live and switching to parallel for recording (dead quiet on mine).

10. Great bass! My all-ash model arrived yesterday, and it was quickly apparent to me that the "base" selection you mentioned--both pups, parellel, active no boost--seems to work best. I put some nickel-wound strings on it and it toned down the brightness just a bit; let me know how it sounds gigging, as I will bring mine out live in December.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Last night I took my Tribute L2K and my Fender 51 P RI to a 4-hour gig. For the first set I traded back and forth, but ultimately I settled on the Tribute. Killer sound, great versatility, very easy to play compared to the 51, which I will have you know, I dearly love.

The 51's yeller finish looks better under the stage lights (the L2K is natural ash/maple fb) but the Tribute kills it.

I wish it didn't!:crying:

12. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    That is absolutely stunning. I have an L-2500 in Cherryburst, but now I need that blueburst L-2000. Nice catch!

13. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Forgive me for being so indelicate....but might I ask what you paid for that bass? I ask because I am considering driving 300 miles round trip to try one of these basses from a guy I contacted on Craigslist, and I honestly don't have a clue what to offer the guy.....

I believe he is asking 575$ O.B.O. .....is this a good deal? I have seen pics and the bass looks to be in great condition (really almost unused).....It's going to be Christmas present for my daughter (ok so it might find itself in my hads from time to time...heheh)....

So again ...whats a good price for one of these L-200 tributes?

Kyle

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Always check completed auctions on E-bay. Highest a Tribute L-2k went is $425 recently. A brand new one went $399!

If that is a USA G&L maybe, but to drive 300 miles to pay $150 more than for a brand new one is madness.

Jim

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    You are in the PNW call BassNW who is a G&L dealer in Seattle. They have a purty amber maple one right now along with 2 rosewood ones.

Jim

16. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

An L2000 Premium Tribute is currently $559 NEW from Musician's fiend.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tribute-by-GL-L2000-Premium-4String-Bass?sku=511123

17. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Re: www.bestpriceguitar.com, those guys are around the corner from me. Ok, so they are a good thirty minute drive away, but still. They are actually pretty cool guys. Bought a back up head from them once. When I got it home I couldn't stand the way it sounded. They gave me absolutely zero flak about returning it. The majority of their business is online and their showroom is a little concealed/off the beaten path. Still they were pleasant to deal with face to face. If they are carrying G&L's, I might drop in sometime soon and play around to see if I can stir up some GAS.

I've talked to Oklahoma Vintage Guitar on the phone before but had never been out to their store before. I had thought that they were a seperate outfit. I didn't know that they were the same company as Best Price Guitar people.

18. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    after postin here I did a lil' checking, and found out the same thing as y'all are sayin here...

thanks

K

19. mattsk42

mattsk42 Supporting Member

I've had good experience with the Oklahoma people, too. I wanted a G&L but the auction ended and they just let me contact them and get it anyway. They also have good prices.

I'd also like to add that if you ARE going to try out a G&L, be sure to spend lots of time with it. I tried using it the first time and I couldn't get anything but a growly tone. I basically gave up on it. But, after a few more times, I'm able to get a TON more tones. So, don't give up right away, give them a chance!

20. ooh, I just got one on ebay for 360 usd that is a floor model. I was encouraged to bid by the the one last week that went for 327!! This better be as good as everyone says or ther's gonna be some trouble!