1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Initial review of the Genz-Benz NEOX400-112T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Mar 25, 2006.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Kinda on a whim (after playing it for about an hour in the store), I traded in my Fender Bassman and purchased a GB NEOX400-112T. I had been looking for a more tuby sound to compliment my 74 Fender Jazz RI. Here are some of my initial impressions:

Physical Characteristics:
    This is the perfect sized amp for me, since I am currently not playing with a number of different bands. At 57 lbs, it is quite easy to carry and it's size makes it less awkward than other combos. The built in carry handles on the top are well placed and wide, which means the don't dig into your fingers. The cabinet seems solid. There is a spring-loaded handle on the bottom of the amp which can be used to tilt the cabinet back into a monitor-like position. Because it is spring-loaded, it can be closed by simply tilting the amp back slightly. The knobs and buttons all feel solid and turn smoothly. There are no center detents on the eq knobs, which is mildly annoying. The LEDs used on the amp are VERY bright. Almost too bright. There is a footswitch which controls the preamp section that I will discuss below.

Controls and Electronic Features
    The main reason I purchased this amp is that the preamp is switchable between solid state and tube, a really great feature for someone like me who is playing a mix of originals and covers. The preamps can also be mixed, either by a button on the face or by the footswitch. Essentially, you get three preamps in one. The "signal shape" section allows you to choose between a high boost, mid scoop, and low boost. There is a five-band eq, the master volume and a limiter. I'm not sure why anyone would turn the limiter off, but you could if you wanted to.

The rear of the amp has an effects loop, a direct out, and a speaker out in both 1/4 and speakon. This amp is capable of 425 watts at 4ohm, and the internal speaker is 8 ohm. This means that you can add another 8 ohm cabinet to move more air. The fan seems pretty quiet.

Playing impressions
    So far, I love the tone of this thing. The switchable and mixable preamps seem very versitale. The tube preamp has a very warm tone, and is capable of a little grit when the gain is pushed. The tubey sound, however, seems to drop off at lower volumes. The solid state is clean, but not sterile sounding. The signal shape seems to be a great feature. The low end extend lowers the low frequency roll-off response of the pre, to allow better response from a 5-string. Not owning a fiver, it still sound pretty good on my 4. Very fat, Precision-like tone. The mid-scoop does what you would expect. The high attack section really brightens the tone and would be great for a bass solo or when a bright, more modern tone is needed.

Volume-wise, this thing gets LOUD. I haven't played it in a band setting yet, but it should be more than adequate even without an extension speaker. I played it with a GB NEOX 112 extension cab at the store, and the volume is enough to give you a headache.

Unfortunately, my camera and my wife are in St. Louis, so I have no pictures to share. Here is a link to the picture on the website:

http://www.genzbenz.com/pics/models/neox400-112t_lg.jpg

I will update my review in the next few weeks as I get a chance to play this amp some more. If anyone else has more experience with this amp, please feel free to add to this thread.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Congrats on the new amp! GB makes some really cool amps and their cabinets are badass, too. It's pretty convenient to have both in a single box. I played a GBE-600 head through a NEOX-212T the other day and was really impressed. Your combo is probably similar, only easier to move. Keep us posted with updates.

3. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I also played the GBE through the 212. Actually, it's what I started on before I complained about the size and the salesman pointed me to the combo. They sound nearly identical.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    My 400 -X is paired with another NEO cab but is a GK rather than a GB ($150 - I couldn't say no!) and the two together push some air. I would have liked the GB but the GK is pretty good

I changed out an Eden 800 and 410 XLT for this little guy and have been very pleased with the result. The amp has too many variables for me as I am of the 'set it and forget it' fraternity but it is nice to have a range of excellent tones via the footpedal.

I used the 400 in a club with a huged disco system and hooked it into a vast bass bin as an experiment and that really filled out the bottom end. Finished up using it throughout the gig and the guys in the band were just blown away....never did bother to tell them about the Cerwin Vega assistance!

Love the bright blue LED's, the tone, price, weight and versatility - great combo - surprised we don't see more of 'em.

5. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Glad to hear you have some positive real-world experience. Although, the adding CV might be cheating. ;)

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nobody else?

7. Flipper

Flipper sale: Sadowsky NYC PJ5

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Yup,
    As I've said on many other threads, I love my GBE600 and 2x12 NEOX. Bright and punchy, lots of tonal variance, adequate headroom, and fairly portable. This stuff is a steal and worthy of the "Pepsi Challenge" with a lot of more expensive gear. Good customer support as well. Let us know when you gig it.

BTW, before I bought this setup I played the combo with the 2x12 NEOX cab as an extension. 3x12s? Pretty bitchin'.

8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Haven't gigged it yet, but played a VERY loud practice yesterday with a new band. Cuts through well, even with a bassy guitar sound and keyboardist. I didn't even come close to the volume limits. I also used the low end boost shaping button with some drop d tuning with great results.

9. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Here are some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality, but the sun was coming directly through the skylights

GenzBenzNEOX-112T002.

10. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    Good choice. I played through one of these for about an hour at the store last week. I loved the tweakability and the thing is built super solid. Sounded great with a wide range of great tones, plenty of volume and thump. You are right about the diodes though..like lasers! I almost pulled the trigger on it but went with something else. I could have lived for a long time with the GB though..no question.

11. Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    How are you liking the tweeter? I keep the one in my 2x12 rolled almost off. I haven't met too many tweeters that I liked, always a little extreme for me. Not to change the subject too much, I've got a new to mer SWR BB2 that has the 5" driver for the highs. I'm gettin ready to have all suspect components replaced and have the speakers rebuilt or replaced, so far I really like the highs from that little 5 though.

12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I can't remember the exact setting, but I only have the tweeter about a third of the way up. My jazz is pretty bright, so I really don't need too much tweeter to get my desired tone. I prefer a growly, bassy tone with just enough high-end to provide some definition and I can achieve that with this amp.

13. Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    That's where I'm at too. I bring it up to the point of adding color and then back off so that I really have to dig in to get it out there. You raise a pretty god point with reguards to the specific instrument. My Smith is pretty bright so the tweet is down. I haven't touched it for my Skjold fretless but I like the fretless a little on the boomy side anyways.