Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Initiation

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Slaine01, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I broke my first string last night (E string) - I guess that makes me a man (or a woman if my name was Slainette.)
    How common is it to break strings?
    What is the best brand to buy?
    The brand I broke came with the original Bass so I don't think they would have been a premier brand.
    I think they were Helicores.

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Real uncommon in 40 + years of bass playing I have never broken a string and only seen one string break on a section mates bass when a an A gut string went in 1968. It did not snap it just kind of relaxed all at once.
    you did not tune it an octive high did you?
    Joe

3. You're in a class by yourself - I've never had a steel string break (also 40+ years). If the string was a Helicore, it's one of the top names.
    How did this happen? Were you playing arco or pizz? We need to know more to help you.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Where did it break? For instance, if it broke on the tuner, there may be a sharp edge to your peg that needs to be filed to prevent future breakage.

I've never seen anybody break a DB string. As General MacThomastik said, "Old Spirocores never die, they just fade away . . . . "

5. It broke up on the Tuner end and I just checked my Korg Tuner and it appears to be faulty by a 1/2 to a full tone. gRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    It looks like I won Dickhead of the month......again!
    Rule of thumb - DON'T BE LAZY - TUNE BY EAR.
    (Now I just have to find a store that sells single strings........)

6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I tuned strings up more than a full tone before with out a failure there is most likely some other cause such as a burr, as suggested above or perhaps the sting was kinked when it was installed or pinched.
    Also, look at the groove on the nut it the top side has a sharp edged and the angle is acute enough strings can be injured.

Joe

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I had a Thomastik G go one time. I wasn't around for the event. It was just that way when I opened the bag.

8. I've lost two corelli medium D strings, both at the bridge. Probably had more to do with banging the axe around or to much of a edge on the bridge than being a thrasher. Ever since having to finish out a gig with no D string I've kept an old set of strings in the car.

9. englehart blues

englehart blues

Nov 30, 2001
    Houston
    Examine the cross section of the broken string where it broke in two. See if there are any markings on the cross section that might indicate anything unusual. Perhaps you may have that one-in-a-million string that had a small defect in it. The defect would be the cause then. This is what a metallurgist (me?) does to examine a fracture.

10. Do you remember how far the string was pulled through the hole in the tuning peg? That makes a sharp bend when you tighten the string. You want the string to make a few complete wraps around the peg before applying alot of tension.

11. Any other tips on whinding?
    As a relative newbie to having to put new strings on a DB I used the old electric bass method of about 2cm through the tuning hole and then whind like a mother .....#$@**.
    I take it this is wrong?

12. Way wrong but I don't have time to give an explaination today. I'm sure someone will help here.

13. To all Electric Bass converts to Double Bass - I think we need to get some info on changing strings - is there a thread in this forum on "correct" technique as I don't want to spend another $260AUS on a set of Thomastiks.

14. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Buy your strings on line way cheaper than what you paid. even if you pay shipping from the USA to AUSTRALIA.

Joe

15. I buy all my strings at www.juststrings.com
    They have good prices and ship fairly fast. Thats a long haul to your neck of the woods though... Great prices on electric. The only place I can find the Elixer Extra Long Strings.

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off.....:p

16. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001