Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

injured!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Hey guys

So, here I am, in a great deal of pain. Some twit at the gym accidently dropped a 5kg plate on my lower back as I was doing push-ups.

It felt like a million knives stabbed into my body all over. I was rushed to the hospital, where I was given some painkillers which made me feel really ill.

Anyway, I broke a rib at the bottom of my rib cage and got a hairline fracture in my pelvis. Its been very hard to move, I only got out of bed today for the first time.

Anyone else here injured their back? It is excrutiating!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had someone land on me doing an unintentional People's Elbow into my lower back. This happened about 5 years ago, and I am still not the same. I am not even 21 yet, and it sucks to have a bad back already.

BTW, are they paying your medical expenses?

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Emergency medical care in Australia is, for the most part, free.

4. Yeah, all good under Medicare.

I have a gig this Saturday, but at the moment I am having trouble just walking, so I am hoping the bruising will subside enough in time for the gig.

BTW - the doctor said that the cracked rib would take the longest to heal, but I might be ok by Saturday - guess thats one good thing about strength training!

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just be careful about how you strap on your bass. Make sure the strap doesn't fall along where the rib is.

6. Jeezus Mary!

I've had back problems going back 15 years. Basically, I had a guy jump on my back when I wasn't ready for it.

In every bit of anything, please let your back heal. Take every physical therapy appointment seriously and seriously, seriously, make sure you learn to lift and use your back properly and use common sense when lifting. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

It'll save you a lifetime of pain, and hopefully a self destructive detour on opiate addiction.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That said, you should see a personal injury lawyer to make sure you get all your entitlements. I don't know anything about PI work, but there will be statutory limitation periods for claims (probably 2-6 years) and upper limits on claims (I think), but you may be able to get some money if the injury causes permanent damage.

Do you know the person who did it? I would contact teh gym and get there details and whatever. I am not advocating suing for the sake of it, but if the injury doesnt clear up and you are going to have life long problems then you should seek compensation.

Dropping a weight on someone would seem to be prima face negligence.

8. Well, my father is a lawyer, so I am going to let him run with all that.

And as far as lifting goes, I think I should be Okay - I'm a qualified personal trainer! It's interesting though, cos now I am going to have to use all my training in injury recovery on myself!!

9. Even moreso to pay attention to everything and anything a physical therapist may have to say. As much as you think you know about how to take care of your back, there's always more to learn. And unlike playing bass or whatever else, there's a lot more at stake here. I was a physical therapy major in college and I've had severe back problems for the past 10+ years, you don't want to go through all the crap that I've been through.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    make sure to sit down during a gig to give yourself a rest.

11. Thanks Golden Boy, advice taken.

You make a very good point though - at the hospital the doctor rattled off a prescription for benzo-based pain killers like it was second nature.

I pointed out to him that I have no interest in that kind of drug, and he looked at me like I was mad.

I refused to fill the script, got some Nurofen and decided to live with the pain and work through it with correct physio and recovery plan. It's mad how quickly doctors are ready to prescribe addictive, dangerous drugs.

12. Those meds definately have their place. If you're in need of the medication, you really should take it. But there's a point...

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I always make it a point to move to the calisthenics area when I want to do my p/ups and crunches. I guess what I fear might happen actually happens!

Make sure you visit the gym again to drop something on him. 50 lb dumbbells work great on feet!

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I cracked three ribs in high school during a football game. I kept playing, and played the next week. I only missed one practice, and that was because someone stepped on my hand and broke two fingers. You'll be fine dude.

-Mike

15. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Oooo you're a tough guy aint ya? :D

I've played hockey for most of my life, and I've been checked from behind into the boards more than once. My neck has taken a beating, I'm lucky I'm not a paraplegic(sp?) and my upper back is sore most of the time. If you are in serious pain, I'd reccommend taking pain killers, but whatever you want to do..... I've found that vicodin and such isn't really addicting, at least IME.

Shoot, play your gig in a wheelchair if you have to. :p

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, so you know what it means to play injured.

-Mike

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Was this an accident?! How'd he drop a weight on your back?

brad cook

18. Well, Im not really sure how it happened, but I doubt it was intentional (at least I really hope it wasn't)

The gym I use is quite small and it doesn't take much for it to get crowded.

19. Dude, that sucks.

Take care of yourself. Seriously.
    Sit all gig, get someone to hold your bass for you.

20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Southpaw1, best of luck to you.

I feel your pain, literally.

I've been having back pain for almost two years now, herniated a disk and all that. It's just about the worst pain I've ever experienced.

The one thing I can suggest, is definitely stay away from taking boatloads of Vicodin. That stuff can get really nasty. When you need it, you need it, but it's very insidious, it's a true narcotic and it doesn't kick in for maybe two or three days or so, and by that time it's entirely possible to get addicted without even knowing it.

A few weeks back I spent several days (maybe a week) kicking that stuff, 'cause I needed to get back to where I could actually "feel" something. It was one of the most excruciating times of my life, not quite as bad as kicking heroin, but right up there. I spent an entire day sleeping on the bathroom floor, only to wake up and retch for a while, and go back to sleep again.

As you may know, I just got a nasty medical diagnosis myself. It puts a whole new perspective on the concept of being a "warrior". Why try to fight others, when the real battle is fighting yourself? :D

Seriously dude, I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself first, and fight the legal battles (if any) when you're better.