Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Injury boy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tufnuts, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Hey all. I guess most of ya saw about how I tried (unsuccessfully) to remove my LH index finger. It's growing back fine, and in the meantime I've been playing w/o that finger. Well...I think I'm really developing a new bad habit with my playing style. Just using my remaining 4 fingers and laying my thumb over the top to fret the E string. Plus now I've got a little boo-boo around my nail on the pinky (slammed my fingers in a door this weekend...including the bloody mess of a fingertip). So now I'm playing with very messy form.

Should I just wait until things are good enough to resume playing normally? Anyone else ever had a similar circumstance with a cut-up fingertip, and how long did it take you to be acceptably back in action?

I want these stitches out, and skin back on my finger. I've got singer and drummer tryouts coming up soon, and I'm really feeling down about not being able to play w/ them and just watching the guitarist. I feel really really stupid right now.

2. That's a pain. If you can fudge your way through the songs temporarily, it'll probably be all right, but if you think you're developing bad habits, it might be best to stop until you heal.
    Bad analogy: when Dizzy Dean broke a toe on his left foot late in his career, he tried to pitch through the pain; because of this injury, it altered his delivery, and his pitching was never the same. His career was over soon after that.
    Finger injuries are a major annoyance. I'm just now getting back the skin on my right index finger after I closed a door on it at work; took about a month (no stitches, but it did rip the entire layer of skin off the fingertip).

3. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Tufnuts by name, Tuf fingers by nature

:D

I suppose I think I'm funny, well I'm not

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I thought that was funny!

5. Heh. It's funny.

I need a new nick though. I've used this tag for about 7 years now. I've heard it all...but fingers is new.