Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    About 6 weeks ago I developed a knot in the knuckel of my left hand. Its on the palm side of the hand in the joint closest to the hand.

Its not just swelling. There is something hard there. A bone spur maybe?

I have been playing for over 20 years so I would think that if my left hand fingerings were the problem I would have had problems long ago.

Only thing I can think of is that I have for a few months been working on a way to play scales up and down the neck that uses lots of slides with the first finger.

I have cut back to 30 min a day playing time from from my normal 3-4 hrs but after a month the knot is still there.

Any of you ever had this problem?
  2. Sounds like a cyst to me. Id let the Doc have a look.
  3. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I just came back from the Doc. Indeed it is a cyst. Since I have no insurance I am having to go thru the charity hospital to get it removed. They tell me I might have to wait up to 5 months to get in!

Guess I wont be playing any gigs for the next four or five months :crying:
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

I had exactly the same problem. I believe it was inside my left palm (fretting hand) , on the index joint closest to the palm. It was just a little knot, it didn't hurt, only when you pressed it hard, it didn't grow or anything...I thought it was some kind of bone growing there...I didn't really payed attention, it bothered me occasionaly, but after some time (I don't know how long) it was gone, and it never returned.

But if it is some kind of bone spur, and it really bothers you, I think you can have it easily removed with some local surgery. Visit a docter I'd say.

get better quickly! :hyper: