Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

INJURY

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shuller, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Shuller

Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    Goddamit! I messed up my wrist, doc says take two weeks off from bass playing. And don't play for like 4 hours a day w/o breaks. I'm just real upset. No bass for two weeks. I guess I'll just play open strings for the duration. Anyone else had these kinda problems? :(

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yikes...I'm sorry man, thats lame...I have been playing for hours on end lately, and though I take breaks they are usually pretty meager, especially since the **** that I've been playing lately has been tremendous work-out stuff...I just read that when you play for concentrated times, as soon as you start to feel finger/wrist pain stop immediatly, because if you play through the pain, you DO NOT get stronger, your muscle fibers will just break and take a lot longer to repair(especially if you keep a regular practice routine)

hope you get better asap!

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I did some fairly serious damage to my hands a few years back. I didn't have much time for warmups in those days.

To this day I'm not 100% sure what happened, but from what I have been told I think I pinched some nerves in my hand. Anyway, my hands started to just go numb (seemingly at random) and when it happened I couldn't even pick up a pen. Since then, I have improved my technique (lessons!) and done more in the way of warm-ups.

I'd say to play it safe and do as the doc says. You don't want to mess up your hands for life!

4. I broke my wrist this summer and couldn't play bass for 2 weeks while I had my cast on (even if I had wanted to it was my right arm with the cast on so it was virtually impossible). After 2 weeks the doc put on a removeable gauntlet and said bass playing would actually be good to help my wrist recover.