1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

INJURY

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shuller, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Shuller

Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    Goddamit! I messed up my wrist, doc says take two weeks off from bass playing. And don't play for like 4 hours a day w/o breaks. I'm just real upset. No bass for two weeks. I guess I'll just play open strings for the duration. Anyone else had these kinda problems? :(

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yikes...I'm sorry man, thats lame...I have been playing for hours on end lately, and though I take breaks they are usually pretty meager, especially since the **** that I've been playing lately has been tremendous work-out stuff...I just read that when you play for concentrated times, as soon as you start to feel finger/wrist pain stop immediatly, because if you play through the pain, you DO NOT get stronger, your muscle fibers will just break and take a lot longer to repair(especially if you keep a regular practice routine)

hope you get better asap!

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I did some fairly serious damage to my hands a few years back. I didn't have much time for warmups in those days.

To this day I'm not 100% sure what happened, but from what I have been told I think I pinched some nerves in my hand. Anyway, my hands started to just go numb (seemingly at random) and when it happened I couldn't even pick up a pen. Since then, I have improved my technique (lessons!) and done more in the way of warm-ups.

I'd say to play it safe and do as the doc says. You don't want to mess up your hands for life!

4. I broke my wrist this summer and couldn't play bass for 2 weeks while I had my cast on (even if I had wanted to it was my right arm with the cast on so it was virtually impossible). After 2 weeks the doc put on a removeable gauntlet and said bass playing would actually be good to help my wrist recover.