inlaid purflings??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 21, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've seen this term used....what does it reffer to?
  2. I would think it refers to real purfling, as in bent laminated strips of wood glued into a channel cut into the top and back of the instrument, as opposed to fake purfling which is a sticker or paint. I guess it might refer to a particular material other than wood though... (?)
  3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm surprised the censoring filter didn't pick this up. You can't just say "inlaid purflings" anywhere you want, you know...

And toman has it right. Usually wood, but doesn't have to be.
  4. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    somewhere i heard that purflings prevent the wood from cracking to the edge :confused:

gruesze sebastian
  5. For more info, see here - for the double-bass, it's the same idea - but bigger... (you might also want to try a search DB using "bee sting" - interesting photos!)

- Wil
  6. Seppie is correct, also. The purfling can keep cracks on the edge from spreading into the back or top.
  7. That's the theory, but in fact I've not seen any conclusive evidence to back that theory in the real world.
  8. Someone of our Respected Luthiers in the board renamed the fake purfling as "furpling"...I also have heard the crack preventing theory, but it really has not worked in any of the basses I have owned. If it cracks, the purfling goes with it.
    My guess is it´s 90 % decoration and 10 % EGOration. Purfling sure adds character to the instrument, and luthiers who like to make "bee stings" & stuff want their produce to look appealing to the eye. Who wouldn´t?
    I´m a real geek in this, I love to see nice carving work, lion heads, triple purflings, flamed woods, good ebony fingerboards and all things like that.
    The Double Bass is a beautiful instrument. I do enjoy the looks, not only playing the thang.

9. While this may not always be true, I think that real inlaid purfling gives the owner or potential buyer an indication of how much work went into the rest of the instrument. A bee string purfling corner takes a lot of time to do. It's unlikely that a maker is going to go to that much effort there and then skimp on the places you can't see. You see a lot of flatbacks that were made in Germany around 1900-1920 that have scribed lines instead of inlaid purfling. What you don't see is that they frequently used a non removable "neck root" instead of a neck block and mortise, and/or the bass bar is carved as part of the top instead of being fitted as a separate piece of wood. On carved instrumetns, lack of inlaid purfling is a pretty good indication that the instruments were made as cheaply as possible. However, on plywood instruments this is not necessarily true since inlaid purfling is frequently omitted because it can actually weaken the edge unless it is done with great precision.
  10. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I've been following this thread for a few dys, and I still hae no idea what on g-d's earth purflings are... Would someone please enlighten me with either a picture, a verbal explaination, or (preferably) both.

Thanks very much,
  11. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Somewhere in a fairly recent thread you can find a picture of a beesting corner that Jeff did. Nice work, take a look.
  12. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Thanks, that's what I thought you guys were talking about....
  13. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's funny, I thought THE funk soul brother lived in Wyoming...
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He used to, but that was years ago. He's since found religion, which caused him to marry his entire groupie harem out of fairness. Once that was done, there was no choice but to move to Utah, where he now lives with his wives and 73 children.