Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inlay and Finishing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Brooks, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have an old Hohner fretless (http://brooks.envy.nu/Hohner/index.htm) bass. Finish on it was pretty bad, with lots of dings and bumps, and since I decided to try and learn how to do inlays, I thought that it would make a suitable 'victim'.

My question is, what is the right sequence? I want to put binding and purfling around the body edges and F-holes, inlay on fingerboard and headstock etc. However, I am planning to finish the body in transparent red.

Should I stain the wood and then use clear over it? Should I get some kind of a lacquer (polyurethane, polyacryllic etc) that is already stained? When should I apply the finish in relation to the inlays/binding?

Also, the top edges are not at 90 degrees, because the top is carved like on a PRS. How should I handle binding in a situation like that? Raise it higher, so that the back edge aligns with the higher part of the top and then sand it down at an angle so that the outside edge is where it should be or... ?

Thanks in advance!

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Bump

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Another bump

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    And yet another bump...anyone?

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Sigh...last try

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You'll probably get more help from acoustic guitar or archtop dudes. They work with bindings purflings and F-holes every day. Try MIMF.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man i really like that bass...

want to sell??

steve

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Steve,

Not sure you would like it so much now...I just finished stripping it to raw wood. Also, neck has a 'ski slope', so it really is a project bass in the true sense of the word. I got it specifically so that I can learn some skills and not be dissapointed too much as I make mistakes. Besides, I am in the Middle East, and shipping would cost more than this bass is worth...