Inlay Arousal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 7, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sharing some pics of inlay from a guy who says this is only his second finished bass.

I think the colors have a cool "oriental" flavor. He says it's made with 6 kinds of reconstituted stone, the birds are MOP (mother of pearl) and the birds' wings and heads are paua abalone.

Damned impressive if you ask me!....and he expended the effort on a BASS (not that "other" instrument).

More importantly, he said he hasn't really heard it yet (all Barts). He made it for a customer who will use it through her old Fender Bassman.
  2. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Very Nice!
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That's just gorgeous. MIMF?
  4. rickbass

That's right, Super. He says William Laskin out of Toronto is his mentor. like Larry Robinson.....what an ambitious choice!!!

Here's a Laskin headstock of bassist that blows my mind because it's done as a shadow with a stage light on the face of the bassist and a sax player! There's inlay and then there's "virtuosity."

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    THat is the coolest inlay I have ever seen. I'd feel bad drilling the holes for the tuners. I'd just chop the headstock, and hang it on al wall. That's ART there.

Also, props for making is bass player...on a guitar? oh the irony...
  6. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    why o why does he put that much detail on a headstock? with the strings on you wont be able to see any detail, kinda pointless.

still amazing work tho :)

EDIT: brendan covered what i said but he got there first. :p
  7. rickbass

A BIG amen to that, Brendan. If I could ever accomplish something that breathtaking, I might use a Steinberger-type design with the tuners in the butt and add something resembling a headstock without tuners/holes to display the art.

I'm usually a colored abalone freak, but that inlay just knocks me out! Even the lips of the saxophonist, his partially closed eyes and the intensity of the bassist's face say so much to me.
  8. i really admire the skill of these people.

that said, YUCK.
  9. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    this reminds me of a hawiian shirt.
    Bright and gets you noticed but not tasteful atall.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    to paraphrase from what i gleaned from the "10 Grand" thread, its cause they can! ;)

but seriously, amazing work! i dunno if i'm gettin' aroused by it perse, but its still amazing. :D :D jus kiddin', Rickman!
  11. That headstock is amazing!

12. rickbass

AW, SHUCKS! I didn't know you were back from Vegas yet after our email about pink ivory.

Folks --- expect to see Mr. Jeff, with a headstock that outdoes this one as soon as he talks Roger Sadowsky or Vinnie Fodera into it.
  13. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    That is awesome! At first I tought it was a little wierd, but now I really like it. How much does something like that cost?
  14. I don't really like the neck inlay... but that headstock: awesome
  15. Nice work. But seems kinda pointless thou. is the inlay done on a separate piece of wood or plastic, then laminated to the head stock? That fingerboard is cool. Very Parrot Headish. Makes me want to go and have a margarita or something.:)
  16. Fetch, inlays like that are done by routing, engraving or carving out the design into the surface of the piece then cutting each of the pieces of inlay with a small coping saw to fit the inlet. The piece is fitted and adjusted until perfect then is "set" in the inlet with an epoxy or other adhesive. Colored adhesives are use to "fill" any imperfections around the inlay but the artists mentioned in this thread have so much skill that the pieces fit with little or no clearance between the inlay and the sides of the inlet. I might add that cutting real MOP, abalone, or any of the other semi-precious materials is a very time consuming process that often results in broken pieces. Most of these materials come in thickness's of .050" or less. That's about 20 sheets of paper thick. Very brittle and - as you can see from the example - very small pieces. As for cost, StewMac will sell you an ounce of workable pieces of real mother of pearl ranging from $30 - $40 depending on color. A piece of Abalam (laminated pieces of abalone) 2¾" x 4¾" x .050" will run $40 - $50.

Yep, that's about as fine a work as I've seen. If you want to learn to do this craft, you can sign up for one of the online inlay workshops offered over on the Musical Instrument Makers Forum at . Larry Robinson - one of the best - teaches the course and the students turn out stellar results.
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Rick, do you have those pictures of the tele-style crane-inlay guitar from a while ago? I poked around the forum for a bit but couldn't come up with the thread.
  18. Very nice work, I'm still a sucker for wood inlays though.
  19. rickbass

I'm sorry, Super, I'm at a loss for the one you're referring to. Maybe it will come to me.

The closest I could think of was the pic on the cover of Robinson's book, which, to me, is the pinnacle of the art -

What so many people don't realize is, is that these artists aren't manipulating the colorations. They are busting their humps to find enough material at the whim of Mother Nature with uniform color and appropriate contrasts to make a cogent piece of art. Many people don't realize that, unlike wood, you don't stain this stuff to make it all work.
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sorry, it was a pretty vague reference (Hey, remember that thing that happened that one time?) but never mind, I found 'er. Done by Andreas Barth:

That's ART.