Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inlay Glue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fasoldt Basses, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    What type of glue ought I use for abalone fretboard inlays? In the past I have used slow-set epoxy from the hardware store,and some of the pieces have come loose while fretting - the jarring of the hammer knocked them loose. On my current build, I'm going to rough up the bottom of the abalone a bit to help the glue hold. Any other suggestions?

2. fattom

fattom

Apr 4, 2005
  3. That's helpful.

Fat Karl, I'd recommend either a cyanoacrylate adhesive or a good quality epoxy. IMO, the 5 minute hardware store epoxy is junk for most things.

4. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Oh yeah... bad stuff! It swells after a while and you can feel it sticking up around the inlay.

5. I've been using CA for all of my inlay but I've got a larger piece that I'm going to try here in a bit that I'm going to experiment with fiberglass resin. It can be tinted easily and it doesn't swell or shrink during curing. It also cures fast and hard so it sands and finishes well.

I dunno...it could make a big mess.

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    This is all starting to sound like that long awaited inlay tutorial. Remember people, progress pics are your friend!

-Nate

7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Sounds like a good idea.. and smelly too! I'm staying away from epoxy in general... I had some good stuff for use with wood, but I still find the problem with swelling.

I have one bass where I used epoxy exclusively for every glue joint. I'm not sure what I had in mind, but it was more trouble than it was worth! Bass sounds real nice though, and a bit different than the Titebond bass that it most resembles. I can't say it was the glue though.

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I prefer CA glue. I used pretty much Superglue gel to do the binding on my latest bass, and am pretty happy with it. My .02 though, I would seal your surface, then, cut the inlay and glue it. CA glue in wood pores is bad ju-ju for finishing.

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Actually a lot of people use it as a wood sealer. Dan Erlewine (and others) even use it for finish repair.

It is a problem if you plan on staining your wood after the binding is glued on however, and you have a lot of glue where it shouldn't be.

I usually use both the gel and the water thin CA from StewMac.

10. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    This is what I was talking about. I usually run a thick coat of sealer on the body before gluing anything, so when I sand the sealer down any glue comes off as well. If you are painting it, it really does not matter.

11. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Hmmmmm (depressed sigh) don't remind me. :scowl: maybe over Christmas break. no spare time. :crying: