Inlay glue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Groove Theory, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Hey folks, I'm starting a new project and I'll be doing some custom inlay work on 'er...however, I was wondering if anyone has used CA glue on inlay before, and how it worked? I'm wondering how strong the bond will be or if I should just go and get some epoxy and not worry about it :eyebrow: ....

oh yeah, it'll be white pearl inlayed in gabon ebony.
  2. Experiments are best left to scrap and not the project. So it would be best to answer this yourself by doing the experiment yourself and seeing if it does or doesn't under your conditions. Everyones mileage varies. But I don't know why you would risk creating anything but the most perfect thing you can on a piece by leaving it to an untried method.
  3. BeauLeopard

BeauLeopard BLDesign Custom Basses

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, definitely try things out on scrap...
    My experience has been that there is almost no way AFAIK to mix coloring into CA. No matter how good at inlay your are there will be gaps that need to be filled. Epoxy is great for this since you can easily use dust from the wood your working with and just mix it. The result is usually a great filler that will hide any gaps. I do use CA, however, to tack the inlay in place and see that everything lines up right. Then just push in your epoxy mix with a card or somethin' flexible. Let dry, sand down,done.

Don't use 5min epoxy, it's crap for inlay, bubbles and what not.;)
  4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    yeah I was just reading about CA glue used for inlay and thought it was interesting, but I think y'all are right, too many unknowns. Of course I wouldn't do it without testing it first, but I think I'll stick with good old epoxy nonetheless. Thanks for your input fellas. :D

P.S. - Beauleopard, thats some nice lookin' inlay in the body of the bass on your website, I especially like the little bass clef below the bridge.
  5. Here's something interesting I learned about CA early in my experiments; With small recesses, if you paint the inside of the recess with black paint or ink (a sharpie even) then fill it with CA, it will appear as if it has been inlayed with black because the black just absorbs the light - nothing bounces out of the hole. It's pretty amazing to do fretboard dots with nothing more than a small forstner bit, a sharpie and a bottle of glue!

And I have used CA with a filler material as a colorant. You can't "mix" it as one normally would with epoxy but you can push wood flour into a recess and then flow in the CA. It will harden almost immediately and you can sand and refill any further crevices. On ebony, it makes a very black, shiny and hard surface.