1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

inlays and sound

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i have been wanting an original looking neck for my bass project. body shape is modified fender jazz style, made from black walnut. was thinking birdseye maple FB with block inlays. the thing is, i saw this nordstrand with wood blocks over maple, and was rely amazed. before, i was thinking blood wood inlays. now i remember there is a small amount ofd figured black walnut i might be able to get my hands on, and am wondering if i should use that, because it might look better because the body and inly wood would match. then, purple heart might look nice as inlays.
    my question is, do blocks affect the sound? like if i put in rosewood (warm tone) blocks in a maple (bright wood) neck and fingerboard, would the strings sound be warmer over the inlays? on the warmoth tone charts, the bloodwood is matched on maple, then the walnut is a little warmer, then the purpleheart is the warmest of the 3.

so do the block inlays affect the sound fret by fret? what do you think would look best for the inlay: bloodwood, figured black walnut, purpleheart? how hard are block inlays to make/install? if it is way to hard to do or expensive to have done, i will just do purple heart or blood wood marker dots

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    My guess is that the blocks won't probably have that much effect

3. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
  4. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    oh god i remember that thread. it's a frikkin FINGERBOARD people, i'd worry more about the wood quality and construction.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Just read the clay dots thread. Priceless.

6. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    It *was* funny, but God only knows how many people didn't catch the tongue-in-cheek nature of it, and took it seriously...

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Way too many, thats for sure!

8. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    I have asked SO many tone questions.... but this one is even beyond me :bag::rollno:

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    lol. my head is going to explode. might just do the wooden purple heart dots. best to go for a solid, functional, construction first and save the other stuff for later. purpose above pretty/
    ok, so do i have to use the same finish on a maple fretboard as i do on the neck? love the satin fell on the back. if it can be different, what would be best for the fretboard to make it look good, and preserve the color of the purple heart?

yep, it is all coming together now. i just got hired at burgerking today, starting cuting wood for the body, planed it, got basic plans, ordered a few how to books on the issue, and tracked down a couple local bass luthiers. going to see one after school tommorow. hes a nice dude. met him at on of his gigs. would probably lend me a special tool or 2. yea, so i am siked

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Nah, Man it's simple. Ya gotta use clay dots!

11. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    And the red ones.

The red ones have the fastest attack.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Hi. You'll have problems keeping purpleheart purple with any sort of finish, or even if you have no finish at all. If i am not wrong the colour change is effected by UV light, not by oxidation, so a finish won't help.

Maybe some sort of UV resistant clear finish, but i'm not sure what's in the market.