Inlays! Inlays!! Inlays!!! Show me your inlays!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cajunrocker, May 12, 2009.

1. I ordered it from "The Perfect Bass" here in BR. Took 6 mo. to come in, then another 2 mo. for the inlay. And it was really worth the wait.

Here are the photos and specs:

*Modulus Quantum 4 tuned B-E-A-D.
    *5A quilted maple top on alder core body.
    *Color: black cherry burst.
    *Bartolini pickups.
    *Aguliar OBP-3 preamp.
    *Phenolic fingerboard.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    *Alligator inlay done by Larry Robinson in California.
    Here's his web-site: http://www.robinsoninlays.com/ He's fantastic, and a great guy to work with.
    *Alligator & cattle egret are several different types of shells including: abalone, mother of pearl, brown lip & pink muscle.
    *Cyprus trees are: mahogany, cocobolo, wenge & sycamore.
    *Water lily, flower, reed & branches are: red abalone.
    *Moss is: dyed wood.
    *Water is: silver dust.

*Side neck markers are: cubic zirconia (CZs)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

And it plays and sounds as good as it looks.
    I'm a very happy camper for now.

2. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Nice, very unique inlays, reminds me of some art I've seen from Asia. And the B-E-A-D setup strikes me as unusual, I take it you don't find the G string absolutely necessary.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :eek: WOW! How many hours went in to that inlay?

4. No. Having no G string hasn't been a problem. When playing Cajun music you don't find many opportunities to play solo bass.
    Thanks koobie.

5. It took Larry only 4 days to do the inlay. However some of his work has taken years. Check out his web site, especially Martin's #1,000,000th guitar.
    Thanks for the compliment elgecko.

6. I'm not one for big,fancy inlays,but,DAMN!!!That Martin is awesome.True art.

7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    That is one nice work of fretboard art.

8. Come on y'all, lets see some inlays. I know there are some good ones out there!!!

9. wow,thats stunning!!!
    but if it were mine,id be too scared to play it!!!

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Excellent artwork! +1 on seeing more inlays!

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll play! This is my Skjold Exotic Custom 4. In honor of Pete Skjold's Norse ancestry, I went with Mjolnir (the Hammer of Thor) on the neck heel plate cover and Gugnir (the symbol for Odin's Spear) as position markers. They are done in gold pearl.

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

12. This is a mixture of "Standard Inlay" with "Non-Standard Customization" - a Spector Euro 5 in Black Cherryburst with SimS L.E.D.s, leading to an extremely cool look of the traditional Spector Crown Inlay lit up by the matching LEDs underneath:

03.jpg

I've actually heard for a long time that this is a great non-LED and therefore much less expensive method of a visual aid, especially for fretless players on darkened stages: apparently the cubic zirconia magnifies whatever ambient light there is a great deal. AFAIK, it was first done by the late guitarist Danny Gatton on his Teles, and was included as a feature on his limited edition Fender Danny Gatton Signature Telecaster built in 1990.

Beautiful inlay work on your Modulus Quantum (and it seems to be Black Cherryburst Day on the thread so far! :smug: ) Was the above your reason for using the cubic zirconia in your neck, or was it simply a purely visual look to go along with the front of the neck as well?

I'd love to have the Spector LED Crown Inlay modification done to one of my main players, my ReBop DLX FM (looks exactly like the SimS picture but a bolt-on with black hardware, and being a bolt-on a much less expensive and easier project) and have Cubic Zirconia replace the side dots on my Spector ReBop DLX FM fretless.

13. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Here's a mock-up of what I now have inlayed on my white jazz bass (made it before I inlayed it):
    3505258217_d1bab3617b_o.jpg

14. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Cool, now this thread is picking up a bit of steam...

Anyone have any vine inlays on their bass?

15. Thanks for the compliment Ian.
    The original side markers were about the size of pin heads and were very hard to see in the dark, so I asked Larry to put on some larger markers. He said that he could do it, but I would have to have the neck clear coated again. I didn't want to do that so he suggested the CZs instead. All he had to do was make the holes larger and glue the CZ's in the larger holes. I really like them. They're raised so I can feel where they are and I can really see them well in the dark. So I suggest if you have trouble seeing your side markers this may be an option.

16. Great response y'all. Keep 'um coming.

17. Not really my idea, but here are the chili pepper inlays standard on the Michael Anthony sig basses (BB3000MA). :bassist:

[​IMG]

18. Here are my Silver Vine blocks on my Bee

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20028.jpg

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20027.jpg

19. here are mine

DSCF0782.jpg
    status B2, LEDs on the side markers :)

20. For_Ironys_Sake

For_Ironys_Sake

Jul 7, 2008
    Those inlays look HOT! (get it?)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021