1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inner Game - where put attention?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joegrant413, Oct 12, 2013.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    I'm a big fan of the inner game of tennis book. And I've read the inner game of music book as well. But it's been at least a year or two for both of them.

Maybe it is in these books, but I want to ask you guys. What do you put your attention on in order to use in inner game technique with the bass guitar?

For example, with tennis, some tricks for paying attention and avoiding self-defeating thoughts is to pay attention to the seams of the tennis ball, or listen for the pop of the he ball makes when it hits the racket.

So does anybody do something like this to keep calm and pay attention while performing live with their base?

Cheers,
    - Joe

2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I find the pop of the snare, or the click of the high hat, to be functional in this regard on several levels.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Kick drum. I love my guy Jose and his kick... I call him my personal locomotive. Everybody should have one, the world would be a better place :) then it's the monitor mix. If i can hear our three voices clearly and Bill's guitar - I don't actually need to hear the bass. I know my parts so all I need are the cues...

So as far as inner game goes.. For me it's all about hearing everyone else, reacting to that and not listening to myself.

4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Hey, I worked with Barry Green's son many many years ago, who is a percussionist, I seem to remember. Oh, and his ex-wife was on the dance faculty of my undergrad. Blast from past, man.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I honestly have never had a problem with staying calm (if that refers to stage fright), and never had a problem keeping my attention focused on the music. Never.

I often get excited just prior to the first downbeat, but it's not the nervous, uptight, freaked-out kind of excitement. It's the "I can't wait to get out there and lay it down!" kind of excitement. :bassist:

As for focus & attention, it's honestly hard for me to even appreciate the context & premise of the question. Once the first note sounded, I'm 100% in "the tunnel", and I don't come out until the last note is sounded. It's the only place I even want to be. Why would I go to all the trouble of preparing music to be performed live, schlep gear, make business arrangements, etc. - only to allow my mind to wander away once the show actually starts? :confused:

Does that make me some kind of freak around here?

MM

6. joegrant413

joegrant413

Dec 6, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

My usual issues are either rushing the beat a bit, or getting too relaxed and not smoothly catching a section switch.

Might seem crazy, but paying attention a bit more to the right hand fingers touching the strings helps.

Directly watching the drummer on occasion always works, but only on occasion.

- Joe

7. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Breathing deeply. Realizing when and where you are tensing muscles. Avoiding the negative feedback loop in your head. Responding to what I hear. Those are the inner game areas I focus on.

MM, I don't think you're a freak, but when I read a thread title, if I have nothing to contribute, I don't

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I hear ya, MTB. Usually the case with me as well (believe me, I skip the great majority of 'em). But sometimes trying to situate one's disconnect with the given context can be a sort of a contribution in itself. :meh:

MM

9. I watch the women

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    MM-
    good perspective:
    I'll get to that point one day...
    but that's the way.

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    When you are on stage, you should have worked your part perfecly and everything should work just fine during rehersal.

Everytime I played live, I don't think I just let everything go. Sure I do like to have my sheet music with me so if there is someting I have something to rely on but the music is important, not the whore dancing in front of you not your stupid moves to put a good show. IMO

I played a lot of music where you have a conductor and no drums, or situation where you don,t hear the guitar nor the vocal so you have to play and keep the tempo steady so everything fall in places.

I also put myself in the same mindset as when I practice so I don't feel tense and everything go smoothly.

12. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    I notice when I practice that I day dream about being on stage, or in front of others. I work to bring my attention back to the here and now and try to be really in the moment, right here, attention right on what I am doing. This does help my practice. Less fantasy, more experience.

13. I run an animated kaleidoscope app on my iPad (which is for chord sheets that I no longer need) I find that it's like a meditation and that I don't have to think about the technical stuff, it just flows... That said, if I get taken out of the zone I am prone to getting lost. So, for me, it's all about staying in that meditative state.

14. Probably paying attention to your right hand position and anchor. All your playing starts there...

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Asleep3.

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have no problem staying calm. I usually hear something that another band member does that inspires me to do something, though. Otherwise, I sometimes find myself thinking about something completely unrelated.