1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

innovation 140B's and flexocor's (stark)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by chipsas, Apr 5, 2006.

1. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    who could compare them.. volume, how strong, how deep, how fat they sound..etc..?
    i'm thinking to try a new set on these days, and it would be great if you guys would share your opinion..
    i play mostly orchestral / solo music , so i need dark warm big deep sounding arco strings.

P.S.
    currently i use olivs/eudoxas , and i think they sound really great! but they are so damn expensive!!! :meh:

2. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've only used 140Bs so I'm just 50% qualified to respond.

I've had the 140s on for one week. I'd have to say that I'm quite happy with them as a hybrid string even though they're marketed as an orchestra string.

The arco sound approximates the gut arco sound. As is the case with gut, I get more vibration from the instrument than with conventional metal orchestra strings and they produce a robust sound. I don't know if I'd recommend them for solo work. They're kind of strident above the G harmonic. My thumb callous was developed on a thinner string. I had 3 or 4 days of pain in my thumb during the adjustment period. Since you're using Olivs, that shouldn't be an issue.

They don't have the overall warmth and vocal quality of gut strings, but what does? At roughly one third the price, I think they're a viable option.

Everybody's tastes and preferences are different. If I only played arco, I'd prefer the forgiving nature and subtle tone of Jargars over these -but that's me.