1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

innovation 140h v dominants

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by miles'tone, Mar 12, 2008.

1. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Hi there all. I've been playing spiros for a long time now and need a more old school sound. Not gonna go for guts just yet as from what I've read here on TB only the high-end strings seem worth it but I can't afford those babys just yet. so....
    Picture this... There are only 2 types of bass strings available on earth (wouldn't that make life so much easier!)... innovation 140h or Thomastik Dominants. These are both in my price range and seem to be what I will be able live with. But I've heard similar things said about both.
    To those guys who have tried both, if you only had the choice of one or the other. Which would you choose?
    I don't bow at all so it's just a decent pizz sound I'm after. :help:
    Cheers.

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    only tried Dominants on other people's basses, but personally I much prefer Innovations. Actually, I love innovations, its just a lucky coincidence that they're so cheap. They don't feel all that different from spiros to play, slightly lower tension but not much. But the tone is much warmer and theres more fundamental, as well as being much nicer to bow. I find their sustain just right for the sound in my head as well, a bit shorter than spiros so its easier to get a classic walking feel, but you can make them sing out more than other more gut-like strings.

3. Deltree

Deltree

Feb 7, 2005
    I agree with Olie I think.

Sound aside, Innovations FEEL quite different to Dominants. It's as though to finger a note with Dominants, you push down a longer section of string than with Innovations - as though more string moves parallel (ish) to the fingerboard. I think that's probably true of Dominants versus most other strings actually. It doesn't feel BAD, but it's just a bit funny to start with - hard to gauge the feel. They feel soft, but they have a certain 'tension'. Slightly more rod-like where the Innovations are string-like.

Innovations also have a rougher texture, which I kind of like; but like Olie, I've only played them on other people's basses (I've had Dominants on mine for a couple of years.)

A mate of mine's got Innovations with a Dom E on Arnie Somogyi's recommendation. On that bass the Innovations sound much more detailed and organic than the Dominant, and also feel a little bit fatter physically. Nice though, I'm keen. They bowed better than I expected too.

I think Innovations are about as different from Dominants (not HUGELY once they're well broken in) as Dominants are from Innovations, and in roughly the same direction. Something about Innovations seems to bring back a bit of growl though (at least when they're fairly new - I've never played very old ones.) to the point where, having thought I'd soon be back to Spirocores, I'm now sorrrrrt of wondering about putting Innovations on my Eminence, and Spiros on my big bass.

4. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Thanks for your views guys, I think your convincing me to innovate! I like the idea of a string that still growls some, something I think I would miss about the spiros. But the spiros do have to go. I realise now from experience (ie playing other peoples basses) that on my German ply they make it sound more like a mildly amped fretlesss fender jazz, which defeats the object in my book.
    Old school organics with a hint of growl? Gimme!:)

5. Which Spiro's did you use.....Mittels or Weichs?
    Dominants ands Innovations both have roughly the same tension...which is higher than the Weichs but not as high as the Mittels. In my experience, Dominants have a more plastic sound than the Innovations for pizz.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I switched from steel strings to Dominants about six months ago, and I love them. I have not noticed a plastic-y sound from the Doms when playing pizz, and they bow nicely. Maybe I should check out the Innovations.....

7. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    The Spiros I use are Mittels. They've been a good string to me and my bass is very loud acoustically with them on, it's just not the sound I want to be me I now realise.

8. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Interested in this thread. I have never tried Innovation strings but have been through just about every other kind of synthetic. Any idea on the guages of the 140H? I am especially/only interested in the G and D. Has anyone else mixed and matched these strings with other sets?

9. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    After a lot of string trials I narrowed it down to Dominants and Innovation 140Bs. For me the Innovations are the winner. While they don't have the towering sustain and volume of Dominants the pizz sound is juicier and the bowed sound is less strident. I haven't tried the 140Hs but some people have had good results with 140H E/A paired with the 140B G/D.

140Bs have a braided core and are geared toward orchestral playing but work great for jazz if you like an old school vibe. They are large in diameter and thus suffer from the rolling problem when bowed.

I had a set on my bass for over a year. I think they still had plenty of life in them but I opted to get a new set. With the new set I had a problem with a loose winding on the A string. The new ones seemed smaller in diameter -perhaps to address the rolling.

The quality and consistency problems have been documented in these threads. Still, I think they're worth sticking with. I just ordered another A after having the doms on for a few months.

10. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Any idea how large is large? Does it give the gauges on the packaging? I haven't been able to find the gauge anywhere.

11. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I found out. Called Lemur. They take their own in house measurements so these aren't official. They state for the 140H and 140B both being:

G= .07
    D= .08
    A= .10
    E= .11

12. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I recently replaced a defective, buzzing Innovation A string. Shortly thereafter the nearly new D started acting up. I wrote a very polite email to their info address explaining the situation and asking if it would be possible to get a replacement D. It's been over one week and they have not responded, I don't expect them to. This is much different than some of the responsive and helpful reps from other companies who weigh in on these forums regularly.

It's back to Thomastik for me.

EDIT:

I subsequently received an email response from a company representative. He asked for my address so they can send me a replacement(s). :).

Innovations are back baby.

13. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well I bought the 140 H G and D. I have tried just about every synthetic string thus far and almost every wrapped gut as well. These are very cool. They have a "looseness" to them that was not there with Pirazzi's or Dominants. There is a little more "boing" in there as well. Kind of like darker, thicker Obligatos. The arco is kind of throaty/almost muffled? but still very easy to start the string. Much easier then Anima's. I find that these, at least on my bass, behave very similar to Anima's. They are a thicker guage (not as thick as Animas) so you can really wrap your finger around them. I do notice a little rolling in the D especially so if you don't dig that then stay away. I am guessing the E and A do that even more. I have had them on for a week and done probably 4 gigs on them. They amplify well with either the Realist or Full Circle. Can't yet testify to the durability. If you like Anima's or Oliv's or are looking for a looser feeling Dominant then these would be something to check out IMO.

14. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    My first set of 140Bs spent one year on my bass over two different removals and re-installs. At the end of that span they were still okay. I replaced them with a new set as a matter of procedure, not because they needed to be replaced. 140Hs might be different as they have a solid core.

I used them on my small club gig on Saturday and they sounded great thru my BassMax/Polytone.