1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

innovation polychromes

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Selim, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I hope to give a full report on these after they've broken in fully (and if & how they resemble or differ from previous incarnations of these strings) but I thought I'd offer a brief sound sample (pizz) of what the "new" (GHS-made) polychromes sound like. These have been on the bass for 3 days. (iPhone video.)

Strong feel, meaty sound, medium tension, very good volume. I find them comfortable to play.

2. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Sounds great! They're more growly and brighter than I expected them to be.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Any change in wolf tones on your bass? The Polychrome G created a wolf on the open string on my bass. Never had that happen before.

4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks!
    Yes they growl more, more midrange content. Which makes them subjectively louder.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I have the same wolf note that was there previously (G# on A string). A little less pronounced with these strings than with Spiro mittels.

This morning, I was looking at Hideo's wolf tone eliminator that you recommended. I think I might give it a try.

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  6. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    I liked them a lot when I tried them a few years ago but they really scored the fingerboard. Are these better that in that respect?

Knappelli and Selim like this.
  7. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    That didn’t happen for me so I couldn’t answer that for you. But these feel a tad smoother than previous (UK made) versions I used. Still not glassy smooth like Thomastik and Pirastro strings.

These strings are a bit different from the UK made strings in a few ways.

8. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    Mine were the UK version. How are the new ones different?

9. How do you differentiate them?
    Envelope writings?
    Are the balls at the tailpiece different than the previous incarnations?

10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Balls are the same.
    The individual GHS string envelopes are the same but smaller. The text on the envelopes is slightly different
    E11B5173-5E93-46DD-AEDF-00CB66D6AED3.jpeg
    They came in this box
    589AEF5A-ADB6-4261-9239-AF975E0A533F.jpeg
    I bought this set directly from GHS, where they state they are “made to order.”
    Absolutely nothing against our very reputable bass-centric dealers who I appreciate madly.

Jon Moody likes this.
  11. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I’d like to play on these some more and then hopefully report back here, if there’s any interest. I’ve got lots of time on my hands now ...

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Packaging. As @Selim posted, we changed the box design and size (as per info from Mark Gollihur) about a month after taking control of the brand.

The strings themselves at this point look identical. I'd like to change the silk on the pegbox to match all the other Innovation sets. This one was an outlier in that department.

13. Ok, thanks.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    They sound good. Maybe slightly weaker on the E string? Could be my phone speaker though. How do they bow? What is the diameter like? I'm looking for a string that feels and plays like a golden slap, but with more traditional windings. not that there's anything wrong with golden slaps!. I love them. And I hope they never go away. I have more than one bass though and would like to try other things.

15. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    The whole set is strong pizzed (punchy, with a strong fundamental) but the E responds a bit less freely than the other 3. A more compressed response you could say. But it’s a strong sound. Anyway, they’ve only been on for a few days.

They bow fine, something veering more towards a gut like sounding I guess, easy to start — except for E which responds more like a dead string and is more difficult to get the kind of clean open tone you can get from the other 3. But I’m reserving judgment until they are played in some more. I want to see if maybe the E in particular needs some more time to work out any kinks, like one has to do with Zyex, for example.

Interesting that the UK made Polys I used in the past had an E that was fine for arco orchestra playing - the whole set had a kind of lush quality with the bow - but I didn’t use the E because pizzed it didn’t growl or sustain at all. Now with this GHS made E it’s reversed.

I don’t know the numbers, but these feel of the thicker variety.

Hey these are purposely designed as a hybrid string and I think successfully. I would have no problem using these for orchestral work, and they area very strong pizz string

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  16. I got used Polychromes D&G a few months ago from someone here.
    The outer windings are very rough, as if the strings, when being slacked, compressed and the windings got somewhat squeezed.
    They went back into the strings box immediately.

17. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Granted, they are not glassy smooth like Pirastro or Thomastiks. But I didn’t have a problem with the feel of the older UK version(s). In any case, the new ones feel somewhat smoother. I’ll have to pull out an older one and check.

So straight to the string drawer - you didn’t try them?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  18. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I wouldn’t describe any polychromes I’ve used as “very” rough - just not glassy smooth. But there’s a whole story with the manufacturing history of these strings- I got a D and G once that felt and sounded so different from each other that they could be from completely different string designs.

19. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I´ve been using innovation super silvers and love them. I have a new set of ghs ones sitting in my closet but my welsh made set still has some life left.

There´s always a concern when manufacturing changes but GHS has never disappointed me before so i have some confidence

Selim likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021