Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Innovation Rockabilly strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Has anyone out there had any positive experience with the Innovation Rockabilly strings? I've read some negative stuff about them but theres usually a flip side to everything. So I'd like to hear. I imagine they're good for the slap stuff since they are called Rockabilly strings after all, but how are they on pizz? Are they really as toneless (dead sounding) as some folks claim?

Thanks
    Kevenlee

2. I've got a set of these strings on my bass, which I use mainly for rockabilly plus a little jazz/swing. Whilst they are certainly not as bright as steel strings, I find they give a warm woody sound with pretty good sustain. They are very easy on the fingers if you are into slapping, and the tension seems pretty low . I have a spare set which are hardly used if you are interested in buying them. Let me know if you want them.

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I think I would be intrested in trying those strings.
    I've heard both good and bad things about them but the only sure way to know is to try them myself on my bass. Email me with the details.

kevinleepate@yahoo.com

4. I also have a set of these strings that i alternate with Spirocores,i like the low tension of the innovations and the tone is o.k. for slap style when amplified,but they come nowhere near the spirocores for tone,amplified or not.Purists will tell you there is no substitute for gut when it comes to rockabilly,but if like me you play differing styles of music,it is hard to find a compromise string with low tension,sound,reasonable cost.Besides,the only person who can decide if you like them is you.Sorry.

5. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    I know Im about 9 years late on this, but is possible to play a little arc with these?

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I play on Innovation silver slaps. The idea is that they are synthetic gut. I play a lot of rockabilly, swing, roots, and old school jazz kind of stuff - so I wanted more of a gut-click type of tone. I do not play slap, but lots of guys use them for just that because of the lower tension.

If you are looking for a gut substitute - these aren't bad. They also aren't gut though either so expect a compromise with tone. The tension is nice and low, but very playable for pizz. As far as the tone being "dead"....well that is a matter of opinion. Some guys hate gut, some love it - same with with steel. For what I play I feel my bass just sounds to dark/orchestral when it has steels on it. The Innovations are mellower and woodier than the steels, but still project good volume and clarity across the board.

Innovation makes many different synthetic (plastic) strings. It really depends what type of tone you are looking for, and what genres you play mostly.

7. I've used the rockabilly's off and on. Arco is possible, you just have to get used to the difference in tone and work harder on using good technique. And your bass could make a difference. I have a bright sounding plywood and they sound pretty squeaky, but on another plywood they sound quite good bowed, maybe a little more breathy sounding. I started another thread about these a while back if you want a more detailed description.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475997