1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Innovation super silver and pickups?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bjazzman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i tried a bass with these strings and really like them. but apparently you cant use a magnetic pickup like the schaller that's on my bass because the strings aren't ferrous.

since i use effects, would getting something like the gage soundclip help in this case?

sorry if this is the wrong forum

2. You can almost any non-magnetic pickup (which includes all piezo based pickups) with non-ferreous strings.
    The soundclip is one of them but rather targeting to people who are travelling without a bass through the world and using it with a rented or borrowed bass. So they know at least their pickup and can mount it on every bass without making any damage to it.
    A lot of people think it is not the best (and not a cheap) solution for your own bass because of the weight put on th bridge. (It chokes the bass more than needed.)

I had the Schaller on my first bass, not really good but better than my other choices at that time. Depending on your style of music and technique (pizz only or also bowing) you can ask for advice in the pickup section (where your question belongs, since you seem to prefer keeping your strings).
    For bowing also I would recommend an under-the-bridge-foot-pickup (rather dark sound) or an in-the-bridge-foot-pickup (similar to the one mentioned before, but a bit more pizz attack). The bridge wing pickups sound much too bright and without resonance when bowed even with damped mids and highs on the amp, but with an aggressive pizz attack.
    Almost any of the piezos have more highs than the Schaller, but with most of them you need an impedance converter (also known as "preamp") which has a very high impedance input (between 1 and 10 Megohms) and use it rather close to your pickup. You will get a sound without them but in most cases not a nice one.
    A rather cheap and complete under-the-bridge-feet solution is the Shadow SH965 NFX for bass since it has the inpedance converter built-in. But it sounds rather soft, probably not everyones sound. Not bad either.
    If you have an adjustable bridge the Full Circle might be a good choice, but be sure to get the right one.