1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Innovation Tryout

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bobby King, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I had an opportunity to buy a new set of Innovation 140Bs (the braided core variety) for a good price and so far I've been quite impressed. They are excellent for arco, much superior to Obligato IMO. The Obligato arco tone is always too nasal for me. These are closer to Flexocors. Maybe even easier to bow in fact.

The pizz tone is also quite nice, thick and gut-like. A good bit darker than Pirastro Pizzicatos but more lively to me than Eudoxa/Olive. I used them on a blues/swing gig tonight and got a good, loud, amplified, "gut" sound. They stayed in tune very well, too.

My only complaint was for the first day that I had them on, I'd get a funny little vibrating buzz under my fingers (left hand) on the G string when I played certain notes. It seems to have subsided and I think this has to do with the new metal windings. I've experienced this with other new strings in the past. Also, the A seems to have a little less sustain than the E (at least on my bass) but it's still decent and has a full tone.

The tension is a little stiffer than either Flexocor or Obligato but the set is well balanced and comfortable to play. I know there is another Innovation set, the 140H, which have a solid core and are supposed to be brighter. I'd be curious to try them, but I really like the arco on the 140B. And the pizz is very gut-like without being overly dull. The pizz is really pretty darn good for a string that bows this well. One of the best "hybrids" I've experienced.

I'm curious how they will hold up and if my impression remains as favorable.

2. This has also been my experience with all Innovation G strings I tried (140B, 140H and Rockabillie sets) and drew me away from them. The winding process may not be top quality, or there is a design flaw somewhere.

3. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

This problem seems to have mostly gone away with a few day's use.

We'll see if it comes back.

I think that there is an inherent problem in putting flat metal windings on gut or a synthetic core that stretches. It seems inevitable that it will also stretch the windings and make them come loose.

The Innovations seem to stretch much less than gut and less than Obligato. But if there was a perfect string, we'd have nothing to yak about, now would we? :)

All in all, I'm still liking them.

4. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've been liking the Innovation 140B strings and just had to try the 140H set, too. They are also very nice. Brighter, more sustain, but still good arco sound and response. The 140B's E and A pizz is OK but not as good as the G and D. I love the G and D from that set for both pizz and arco. So, now on my bass, I've got the E and A from the 140H with the G and D from the 140B and it's a great setup! I think I'm going to stay with this for a while.

Now I know, you're probably saying, "Yeah, he'll stay with it for a while :rolleyes: , at least until tomorrow morning" :D But guess what? That's what I say about you, too! :)

5. Drat! I was uncovered!
    :D