1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Innovation

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by olivier, Aug 24, 2001.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Let's get the facts strait here: Oldsaw speaks about 140B Innovation while Chris Quinn sells "hybrid" and "braided" Innovation strings which ones are which ?
    Apart from Oldsaw, has anyone any comment about these strings ?

2. Salut Olivier!
    140B=Braided (B for braided)
    140H=Hybrid (H for Hybrid)

He also sells the Rockabilly set.

I tried the 140B G string, and it has a very strong clear tone on my EUB. It also has some nasality. (same thing as the Obligato G)

I got Rockabilly D and G a few days ago.
    They use the braided core, but are wrapped with flat black-nylon tape.
    The G is nice. Low tension, but singing clear tone.
    The D was way too floppy though! Too low tension!

I'm back with thin gauge Flexocors on the G, D and A, and a FlatChrome E for the moment. (I'll try the thin Flexocor in the next weeks)

Hope this helps!

3. The silence here is deafening.
    I must be on to something new with the Innovations. I have found just the opposite effect with these and the obligatos. The sound is warmer especially on the G & D strings as compared to the Helicores and Kolsteins strings that I have tried.

The one thing I have had to deal with is the thickness of the G string. It is about twice as thick as the Helicores.

Mark

4. Mark, keep in mind that, as stated in my message, I play on an EUB (Electric Upright Bass).
    You may get different results on an acoustic, and even between different acoustics!
    I was just describing what I personally experienced!

5. Francois,

I understand. I also think that a brand of strings will sound different on different basses.

Mark

6. Do you still use Innovation strings, Mark?