Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inntonation Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkdified, Feb 13, 2002.

1. I just recieved a used bass, and was setting the action and the inntonation. One problem the E and B string want tone. I read the book on moving the saddle forward or back depending on if its to flat or sharp. The open tone and harmonic are in tune its the 12 fret thats sharp. I cant' get it right all the other strings are fine. Any help would be great. If it helps its a Ibanez ATK 305.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If it's sharp, move the saddle away from the neck.
    If you really can't get it right, try putting on new strings since this can be a sign that of the string is not ok.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    If you can't figure it out, I will happily take that bass off your hands :D

4. As moderator of this forum i take preference.... so the bass is MINE!! ALL MINE I TELL YA muhahahahaa *flash of lightning*

ermmm right back to my hole i think.

:D:D

Merls

5. I just put new strings on it. Its not that I can't figure it out. Its that when the open string and harmonic are in tune the fretted 12th is sharp and when I move the saddle to make the 12th in tune the others go out of tune, and when i turn the tuners to tune them the 12th goes out again. Its a constant battle. Also the strings are through the body could this be the problem. Its not a problem on my fender jazz.

This bass is going to the grave with me:p

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Not quite, Funk..
    You just keep at it!

1 Tune the harmonic.
    2 Check the tuning on the fret.
    3 If sharp, move the saddle back, if flat, move the saddle forward.
    4 Retune the harmonic.
    5 Check the tuning on the fret.
    Loop 3-5-3-5-3-5-3.....etc, etc, etc.

After 25 iterations you will be pretty close to good enough. Just keep at it.....

7. Funkdified said...

I just put new strings on it. Its not that I can't figure it out. Its that when the open string and harmonic are in tune the fretted 12th is sharp and when I move the saddle to make the 12th in tune the others go out of tune, and when i turn the tuners to tune them the 12th goes out again. Its a constant battle. Also the strings are through the body could this be the problem. Its not a problem on my fender jazz.

This bass is going to the grave with me:p

Funkdified, the open string and the 12th fret harmonic will always be in tune with each other, no matter what you do. As long as you don't fret the string any harmonic you get from it has to be a multiple of the root note's frequency ;)

B strings are hard to intonate - taper wound strings make this a little easier, but some people (including me) don't like taper wound strings. Here are a couple of things that might help -

Is your action too high? If the string is a bit high off the fingerboard you'll pull the string out of tune before it hits the fret - and it'll sound sharp.

One thing that's important is that you're consistent when intonating lower strings - fret the string the same way every time and try to use the same amount of pressure on the fingerboard (of course all this goes out the window when you actually play the bass :D

Use a tuner if you're not already using one - a strobe tuner is probably best but lotsa people don't have one.

Another thing - are your strings still stretching? Play the thing for a couple of days and let things settle - maybe it'll intonate easier then.

Some folks might disagree with this but one thing that helps me is to find a brand and gauge of strings you really like and stick with them - then once you get it dialed in you shouldn't have any problems.

good luck!

allan

8. Ain't that the truth. I can't get my B to intonate, even with a tuner. I can get it close, but not exact. I got all my other strings intonated just fine, even with my action set high. I just changed strings to Dean Markley Blue Steels a few days ago, maybe that will help. I had the factory strings on it up til now.

9. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    And ready for a beer.

10. i also have a atk305, and i am having the same problem as you are.