Inportance of the Internet on Music as a Whole.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenBass, Feb 21, 2005.

1. How many aspects of the interent and it relation to music can people think off ... and why do people think it have revolutionised how music is promoted, marketed, bought, sold and written ?

this is to help me with a degree piece of work on

"The effect of the Internet on the Global Music Industry"
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I can go to Amazon and listen to a clip from an album before deciding to buy it.

I can download entire live shows and albums using bittorrent or a variety of peer to peer technologies.

I can send emails about upcoming gigs to hundreds of people with the click of a button. It's like direct marketing, very effective.
  3. I can discover bands I would have otherwise never even heard of. Mostly thanks to sites like or, or even our own Talkbass.
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    It's EXTREMELY important. I mean, think about how many bands you wouldn't be exposed too...
  5. I think the internet has single-handedly saved music for a lot of people. It's also thrown the music industry into chaos, because their business model isn't as viable as it used to be. It's bad for the music business but fantastic for the rest of us.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Sort of. If people weren't exposed to so many artists, they would have to eventually drop a lot of them for lack of sales or something.
  7. thank you for your replies so far..

yes the net has a global monopoly on the music buisness as a whole through promotion, marketing, buying/sellings and communities.

its still largely down to the fact that nethas much the world smaller...i can quite happilyposton here and people from all over the world can interact..spanning ratial and cultural differences and age differences..

The net is also becoming more effciant every year... and its instant.. and yes there are those programs such as kazaah and napster.. as well as bit-torrent that are illegal.. but are highly useful tools for bands to gain a new fan base...

For me... i dont care for making money.. so i wudnt mind my stuff being relleased on the net... if it means more people will come to the shows then thats the inportant thing...

I shall be throwing more idea's about soon.. :)

thank you again...