1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

input (active vs passive)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mwhite89, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Hi,
    I have a BBE B-MAX T played thru a QSC PLX 1602. Each bass is active. The question: (please forgive me if this question is too simple for the great minds here) The guitars are a lot louder when played thru the passive input. Is it ok to play thru the passive input with active bass guitars, or should I just play thru the active input side?
    Thank you
    Maurice......speakers are Ampeg BSE 410 HLF and Fender Bassman 115

2. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Hi,
    Thank you

3. It is ok. Whatever sounds good to your ears is ok.
    If you hear the preamp distorting or the clip light comes on, switch to the active input.

4. I always use the passive input regardless of bass being active or not. Just turn down the gain. The active input has a padding that dulls the sound of the bass IMO

5. indvoice

indvoice

Mar 15, 2008
    what exactly makes a bass passive or active?

6. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    hi IND,

Bassically!! (pun intended) a passive bass has no electronics that require a battery. Fender's passive setup on the P and J bass is a great example. The pickups are wired directly to the volume and tone controls then directly to the output jack with no electronic pre-amp or anything in between.

an active bass usually has standard pickups with a built in pre-amp in the bass EMG is an exception to this. Active basses tend to have higher output levels and are less affected by bad cables etc.... again this is a brief overview and is not all inclusive.

I have active basses and passive basses and they all sound good. so don;t get stuck on the Active/Passive bass. If it sounds good go for it!!!

If you need or want more info u can PM me !

Bill

7. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    I have a Ibanez SRX 390 bass with passive pickups but there is a battery in the back... I'm confused!

Can I put in a Aguilar OBP-1 preamp in my bass?

8. If it has a battery, it's active.

Active basses have an active preamp, pickups, or EQ. Generally that means they have tone controls that can boost as well as cut, but not always. Their output is generally hotter than passive basses, thus the second input.

9. indvoice

indvoice

Mar 15, 2008
    thanks a lot