input jack crackling whenever the cable is moved

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Oct 11, 2005.

1. it seems that the contacts inside the bass are not making full contact with the cable, and it can be moved around. when it is moved there is a severe volume loss. i assume only one contact is touching the cable tip at that point. is this a matter of just bending the contacts inside the bass, or what? i have no idea how this happened, i haven't played this bass in a month, i pick it up after being away from home and it's got this issue that is killing me.
  2. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    -the output jack of a bass (usually) only has one contact (2, but ground dosnt use a clip)

Pop the jack out and bend the clip/prong in (or replace it with a neutrik/switchcraft jack)

cleaning it with some rubbing ahcohol wouldnt hurt either.
  3. eck, i just noticed that there is some corrosion or something where the contact touched the tip of the cable. should i get a new jack or get somerubbing alcolhol for this job? thanks for the help.
  4. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    are you sure its corrosion? most cheap jacks used plated metal, which will wear ofer time.

I would just replace it altogeather. 2 solder joints and a nut, cant get much easier.