Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Input Jack Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassTerd, Oct 8, 2005.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I seem to have to replace my the input jack on my Warwick at least once a year. It's the long threaded kind. I'm not abusive to it and i'm pretty carefull with it. I usually buy my jack at the Carvin store. I have also used the hip-shot brand (i think that was the brand.) Are they any other brands that make long threaded input jacks that would last longer?
    Does anybody else find themsleves having to replace their input jacks?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I hate those jacks because you can't retension the spring like you can an open-frame Switchcraft jack. Once the spring goes, you have to replace the jack.

3. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yea, i've tried to make an attemp once to retension. Didn't work. I guess it's just the nature of the thing.

4. dBean

dBean

May 23, 2005
    Waterford,ON
    I've seen the same thing with that type of input jack.

I've found that you can extend the life by spraying some switch and contact cleaner up inside the jack. But when that stops working, time to replace....

5. hey mate,

out of curiosity, what cable are you using??

the jacks have been going on my basses lately, and i was rather perplexed as to what was going on. then somebody mentioned to me the other day that they swear not to use planet waves cables, because the jacks are wider or something, and wear out the inputs heaps faster than usual. low and behold.. i use planet waves..

be interested to see if this is a common problem..

cheers,
    andy.

6. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I use either switch craft, george l's or monster

7. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well the problem is that the jack starts to get a little loose.

8. Check out partsexpress.com

they've got lots of goodies.