1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input Jack Issues...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CTC564, Jul 22, 2012.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I've never had a problem with an input jack before so I humbly come to TB

I know that my cable is good and I do get sound out of my bass but if the plug gets inadvertently touched I get a LOUD crackle through my amp...

Does this sound like a loose solder connection or should I replace the entire input jack?

If it does need to be replaced is there a particular brand that is better than another?

It's a side mounted J bass jack

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It sounds like the connector is moving around inside the jack and shorting. If it's a tube style jack then your only option is to replace it.

And technically it's an output jack. ;)

3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    You could fiddle around with the contact tab or look for a loose connection but when in doubt I always just replace the jack. It's like 5 dollars, (if that), for a mono Switchcraft jack and you don't need pro soldering skills as there's only 1 connection on a Jazz bass.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I often try to fix noisy output jacks by bending the contacts or resolodering them. However, sometimes they are still noisy. I believe that the parts of the jack that are riveted together (the tube and the frame) get corroded, and intermittent, causing noise.

Even a Switchcraft jack is only a few buck - replace it if the fix is not obvious.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Usually what happens is the jack tab that touches the tip of the plug looses tension and doesn't make a good connection causing "static" sounds. (But it could be a bad solder connection to the jack so check that too).

Barrel jacks tend to be crap so just replace it if you have one of those. If it's the standard jack (like in a Fender Jazz) You can bend the contact tab so it has more tension to make better contact. But usually that is only a temporary fix. My experience is that pretty soon the tab has lost tension again.

The reason people are all mentioning Switchcraft jacks is because cheapo Chinese jacks are VERY prone to losing tension and getting noisy. Switchcraft jacks don't. But they cost more. You might get away with some cheap jack on some little used DI or other gear but on a bass where the cord is plugged in and out all the time just spend the extra couple of dollars and save yourself a big headache.