1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input jack on Amp head loose. How to fix?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xolin, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I could swear I saw this answered like last year, but I can't find the thread, so...

The input jack on my hartke 1200 amp head is loose and if it gets jiggled, THE LOUDEST SHRIEK IN THE WHOLE F'IN WORLD COMES THROUGH! I could hear my neighbours go "UGH!" through the wall.

Well, because we all would like to keep our hearing and Im sure this is a degenerative problem, how do I fix this myself?

Thanks,
    Colin

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if there is a washer on the outside of the jack tighten that.....that usually does it 99% of the time

3. no washer. just an unsecured jack that moves about in its slot :.

4. Inside the head there should be a nut on the jack that needs to be tightened.

5. What about if its on a bass.. an epiphone t-bird perhaps?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The technical term here is 'nut' actually, but in any event the jack is probably soldered directly to the PC board inside, and either has come loose or is broken. If you don't know what you're doing inside an amp chassis take it to a shop to have the jack fixed or replaced.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1 - don't go fooling with stuff inside the amp unless you know what you are doing

i wonder why the jack doesnt have a nut on the outside - most do. any chance it fell off? is the outside of the input jack threaded? if it is, chances are there used to be a nut there.

ps, forgive me calling the nut a washer, i hadda gig last night and am a bit sleepy - :smug:

8. Awe hell, you're right. It didnt look like it when i checked last, but right as it enters the head there is threading. I'm pretty sure that there was a nut there. Well...looks like Im off to get a new one.
    Oh, i should prob measure it first
    :rolleyes: