Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

input jack on Spector gone crazy!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sargebaker, Mar 19, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well I just got my Spector back from the luthier today (got a new birdseye maple ramp installed) and when i plugged it in to play there was occasional crackling and popping, especially if I move the cable around. I opened up the cavity assuming it was a loose jack, it's not. and I know it's not the amp or bass because it did not do it on ym Aria or my Carvin (which actually has a loose jack) and I also tried different cables, they all do it. It's a Legend 6 with the side mounted recessed jack. (I was told they were pretty shyte as far as quality goes). So now I need to either fix it or replace it. What jacks could i replace it with? I've heard good things about neutrik but unsure if it will fit etc.

Also could the problem be caused by something else?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Replacing a jack isn't too difficult, but first you should check out a few things that are easier to deal with.

It could be a simple matter of some corrosion on the connections where your cable (especially the tip and ring, if it is a TRS jack) contacts the jack.

Take a piece of fine emory cloth (get it at the local hardwar store) and some rubbing alcohol and polish the contact points. use a clean paper towel or cloth to wipe down the jack afterwards. You will probably have to remove the jack from the body, but you won't have to take apart the connections.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    alright i did the rubbing alcohol thing. It didn't do anything. It makesa sort of cracking and popping sounds if i move the cable around inside the jack (like if I spin it). I noticed however when I opened the cavity there is what appears to be some rust where the wires are soldered to the jack... is this bad? I got the bass in November and it's guaranteed at least a year, the store should honour the guarantee and fix / replace the jack yes?

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Or you could just order a new jack from Spector for $15. That's what I did when the jack in my old NS2000/5 went bad.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Rather than mess around with that jack - just replace it. There are basically only two types of jacks (don't know which a spector uses). If you can solder it shouldn't take too long to do.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I guess I could solder but I wouldn't try it. I'd get my friends dad or luthier to do it.
    Do you think the rust where the soldering is could be the problem?
    Is there a big quality difference in jacks?
    Would a Neutrik locking jack fit?
    The jack on my bass is basically a recessed hole in the side of the body if that helps...

My store is closed today but I'll try to contact them tomorrow or tuesday about the problem and if the guarantee will cover it (which it better)

Thanks for the help and advice you've given so far guys!

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hi again, yeah good idea to have a repair shop or someone else do it if you are not sure.

That "rust" is most likely flux residue - nothing to worry about. If the wire looks secure it probably is. Jacks go bad all the time actually. Think about how much abuse they take. I think pretty much any jack that is the right type should be good enough quality.

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    thanks! :)

I'm more dispointed than anything, I wanted to take her out and try the new ramp at jam session today for the first time, Oh well.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm pretty sure the Neutrik locking jacks won't fit without additional routing.