Input Jack Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bste9, Aug 2, 2004.

1. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I dont know if this belongs in this forum or not. Anyway, when i plug a cable into one of my basses and move it around in certain places, there is no sound. I know its not the cable cause it doesnt do it with my other bass. My question is whats goin on. Im afraid to use this bass live cause if i bump the cable when its in the jack and move then the band has no bass. Any ideas?
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    open it up and take a look...somethings is loose
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Moved to setup.
  4. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    One step ahead of you. Already did that and didnt see anything lose, of course it was just a quick look.
  5. Its because u leave the cable plugged in in your guitar and amp, u should alwayz plug out ur cable when your done practicin....
  6. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Thats not it either because i always unplug after use cause its an active bass and it will drain the battery.
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Input Jacks are usually the first (if only) thing to ever go bad
    on an instrument... it's a stress point after all.

Don't 'Fix' a malfunctioning jack.

Replace the input jack.

Do it yourself for about $10 or less for a top quality Switchcraft jack.

Or spend another $10 and have a shop do the soldering for you.

Case closed.
  8. Bingo!

It's a stress point, it's a bent aluminum "arm" that makes contact with the jack plug. It's best to replace it, and do it with a Switchcraft or Neutrik jack. You could bend the arm back, but it's not going to continue being reliable. Replace it.
  9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    wow this is my exact problem with my SX. I was scared to use it at practice yesterday because I kept getting disconnects.
  10. For complete directions on how to change your jack, look about five or six threads back under "Warwick Corvette Jack Problem".......
  11. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    Not to be too nit-picky here, but that's an "output" jack...the signal is coming out of your bass. And that little arm...well it's highly doubtful that it's aluminum, it's most likely nickel plated brass. That's the "hot" contact to the "tip" of the plug on your cord, and it might be possible to bend it to make better contact if it's an open frame jack and of high quality. But it wouldn't cost very much to replace the jack with a good one...try a Switchcraft 502-11 jack...and if you want extra holding power, use a Switchcraft 502-12B stereo jack and don't use the stereo feature. There's an extra spring contact in there which will grab the plug more securely.
  12. You would think that somebody would design a better input jack then the switchcraft type that has been around for 100 years or so. It seems so primitive and a weak link in the overall system. Then again, it would require a new type of cable plug as well to go with it. The industry is probably so locked into things they way they are/have been that nobody wants to change things..... :help:

Dave Starr: 8 string bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  13. Several basses over the years have indeed had more secure plugs. IIRC, even back in the early 70's the Gibson Les Paul Recording series bass had an XLR connection. But the 1/4 phone plug is just so common that IMHO it's harder to sell a bass with a "funny" plug. Special plugs, after all, require special (and somewhat more expensive) cables....
  14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I recently changed the jack in my Fernandes Gravity V for a Neutrik locking one. You can do this with minimal soldering skills. The thing is you probably have to make the hole bigger as Neutrik locking jacks have about 3/4" of diameter. Being an active bass the jack HAS TO BE STEREO. Because using a mono plug then ring and ground get connected with each other an there the circuit is closed and the activ preamp is powered. Normally in an active bass you have 3 wires going to the jack. If you know which one goes to the tip, the other 2 go to either ring or ground (can be interchanged because they connect as you put the mono plug in). Take care...

15. Uh, might I submit there's a reason said style has "been around for 100 years"????? Because it works perfect, and is really inexpensive to produce and cheap to replace if it ever fails. That's why. You have superior switchcraft, and a gamut of cheap knock offs, which is prolly the case here. The cheap ones fail, the still relatively cheap switchcrafts rarely ever do.

Simple, eh???

And to the original poster, I wonder why it didn't occur to you that this "wiggle and get no sound" problem was obviously a bad jack? I mean come on...
  16. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    sorry not everyone is as intelligent as you. Actually since i made a post suggesting that it was indeed an input jack problem, dont you think that is what i thought it is? hmmmm?
  18. First, don't get so defensive. Second, look at the quote...if you "knew" then why'd ya ask?

I'm not giving you grief, but it appears you made all the right deductions, go with your gut and have it remedied.