Input Jack problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jul 9, 2019.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Hi everyone
    Today I was playing my yamaha bb 415 but something weird happened the jack become loose .I mean when I put the jack in the jack is kind of moving inside the place and in some direction there is no sound coming out ,it was annoying because a little bit of moving cause connection and disconnection.

So I opened the back plate and watch inside of the bass and everything was ok and connected .the input was long style so you couldn't touch the inside to make it tighter .
    Well give me some tips and recommendation so I can fix it .
    Because it's an initial part but has a really important role ,it's kind of destroying feel of playing so I should do something about it .

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Can you post a photo of the jack, from the control cavity? It would help with providing suggestions.

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Agreed, pics would be very helpful. For the moment, I would also suggest checking any nut on the jack (inside the control cavity) is tight. Perhaps it has become loose from usage.

4. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    The not is not visible ,
    It's like this .

Attached Files:

5. wishforbass likes this.
  6. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Yeah it's exactly like this .

7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The nut (and washer) are both shown in this picture. However, if the nut is missing from your output jack, it may have fallen off due to being way too loose. It may still be inside the control cavity somewhere - if not, you will need to get a replacement nut at a hardware store or somewhere. This may require removing the jack (to take it with you) to make sure you get the right sized nut from the hardware store. I guess there's always the option of taking it to an instrument repair shop if you'd rather have someone else check into the issue. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Input?

Mik Walker likes this.
  9. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Old habit - fixed it :D

10. If the nut fell off, it should be "on" the input wires. It wouldn't fall loose into the bass unless the wires are cut. If anything if the input jack is tight, the nut securing it might be hidden because it's pressed itself into the inside of the wood cavity.

If the whole jack is loose, you would be able to jiggle and turn it from the outside.

Is the jack from the "exterior" - both outside the cavity and within the cavity tight and secure to the body? If so, then there might be an issue with inside the input jack. If it feels "loose" inside the jack, which is what it sounds like, it might be broken inside and need to be replaced.

LaterZ!
    Darren!!

wishforbass likes this.
  11. Oh no ... here we go.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm betting it's a barrel jack, right?
    Were you using a Monster cable?

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

OK: barrel jacks are notorious for 'degrading' over time and they all end up with exactly the problem you describe. they really can't be fixed easily.

either replace with a new one (and expect the same problem in months/years/decades) or replace with an 'open' output jack --- i'd recommend switchcraft in any case, although certain other brands are also competent (and more expensive!)

you can order these jacks from many sources, but here's what they look like:
    Switchcraft Output Jack | stewmac.com

good luck with your output jack! :thumbsup:

Wisebass, Spidey2112 and wishforbass like this.
  14. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I may think the nut is other than what Actually is .
    Which part is the nut ?
    Is it the small metal part or the big longer part ?

15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The nut threads on to the jack to tighten it.
    upload_2019-7-9_14-23-31.png

wishforbass likes this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the barrel vs. 'open' depends on your ax and whether the hole into your controls will accommodate either one 'the best'. i just looked at a couple of yamaha bb 415s on the web but there were no good pics of the jack area.

but, in general:
    - if there is a jack plate = you can probably use either type.
    - if there is no jack plate = you probably have to use the barrel jack...or modify the area to accommodate a jack plate (not necessarily what you had in mind!)

if you post pics of the jack and the inside of your controls = we may be able to advise, specifically. ;)

edit: accuracy, clarity, exceptions

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    wishforbass and Wisebass like this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I would sujest to replace the output connector and let it do it by a master. Yes, it will be more expensive, but more thrustable also.

Guzzi Toad and stingray69 like this.
  18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Johnson79's picture above is correct.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  19. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I asked for a photo from the inside in order to get an idea how much room there is to insert a wrench. I think the way to do this is to unsolder the wires, use a socket wrench to tighten the nut, and then resolder the wires. I don't think you can tighten it from the outside without twisting the wires inside.

johnson79 likes this.
  20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    If your bass is like this, the jack is held on inside the cavity by that nut and washers. Without a photo of the cavity of your actual bass it's hard to say exactly what is wrong. Worst case you need a new jack, not a major problem.
    [​IMG]

wishforbass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021