Input Jack problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jul 9, 2019.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I'm getting the pics ready for you guys .
    Because my camera pic are large size I can not upload it so I should use a third part app for uploading them

2. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
  3. Nice! At least we know he doesn't need to get a socket into a deep hole.
    An open-ended wrench (spanner) will do it.

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Looks like the nut is easily accessible - have you checked to see if the nut is tight?

Regardless, I see a small chunk of wood is missing under part of the washer - just to the right of the output jack. I wonder if this is causing the wobble with the jack?

Aside from a possible new jack, you might need a larger (outer diameter) washer to make sure the jack stays flush against the cavity wall.

Guzzi Toad and wishforbass like this.
  5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I was going to say "In before some pedant cavils about 'input'" but I see I'm too late. :)

6. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    It's tight Actually ,
    When I plug something in it ,the head of the cable move a little bit in it and I'm some direction there is no sound at all .

I saw the wood now .

7. sacreddog717

sacreddog717

Jun 20, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Probably be best to replace the jack - however, you could try gently bending the contact points of the jack to make a stronger connection with the cable tip but that might only be a temporary fix.

wishforbass likes this.
  9. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    What did I say?????

10. Nah, its not you.
    I thought yours might be the first salvo in another terminology battle.
    I'm actually kinda amused by the input/output jack discussions.
    I have learned to be careful to identify it as an output jack.
    "You don't input anything in your bass." lol.
    (Except, of course, the instrument cable.)
    But ... I'll play by the rules.

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Based on the second photo, I think you might be having a problem with the jack shorting out. There is a big glob of solder holding the red wire in place, which looks like it might be coming in contact with another part of the jack. It might actually be what's called a "cold solder joint" that looks okay but is actually flaky.

Get a soldering iron and remove the red wire and all the extra solder. Put a piece of shrink tubing on it before soldering it back into place. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, get your electronics buddy to do it and buy him some samusa.

Samatza likes this.
  12. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I replaced that jack twice on my Tune fretless, it's relatively easy if you have a soldering iron. That red wire looks as though it might be shorting on the earth as it's sort of sideways. If the cable feels loose in the jack though and it loses connection it's time to replace.

13. It's a passive bass, correct? The conductive parts of the red and white wires should not be touching make sure they are not making contact.

LaterZ!
    Darren!!

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Last week someone on here blew up the power section of a brand new $700 amp because they didn't know the difference between input and output.

15. @wishforbass have you tried a different cable? Perhaps your cable has gone bad.

LaterZ!
    Darren!!

16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    It matters a great deal when making connections to amplifiers.

No one is going to blow up their bass by calling the output jack an input jack, but I get the sentiment of using proper terminology. :D

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Try plugging the "input" of your active bass into the speaker "output" of your amp and see what happens.

18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    If you're plugging into the output jack of an amp, you've got bigger worries than proper terminologies.

I don't get the impression that the OP fell off the back of a turnip truck this morning -I don't see him doing that with his amp.

I think we all can appreciate the use of proper terminology. But there comes a point to just let it go and focus on the OP's issue at hand.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Guzzi Toad likes this.
  19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you think your bass has an input jack, why wouldn't you try to plug it into the output jack of an amp? Ins go to outs, don't they?

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Yes, this is helpful to the thread.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021