Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Input jack problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I tried to search for a similar thread, but after going through +200 posts I gave up.

I have a crap bass called Encore. It was dead because the wires were torn apart from the pots etc. I managed to fix that last night, but I have another problem that I have not yet been able to fix. Here goes...

When I insert the lead into the input jack, then I can´t get any sound from the bass. If I remove the lead and just insert it halfway into the jack, then suddenly the bass comes to life. But it´s loose though, if I lean over then the lead falls out of the jack.
    How on earth can I fix this? Any recommandations?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Double check the whole circuit. When the cable is fully inserted, something is grounding out the signal. You could have the leads reversed, or there could be a wire or something else around the jack that is causing it to ground by coming into contact.

Is it a sealed input jack or an open one?

Chas

3. On your guitar jack the tip is positive or channel 1 as sometimes refferred to. Then there is a little black ring and the rest of the shaft is ground.

So therefore the input jack should be wired to correspond to that. The best way is to plug in a jack to the input and look from inside the circuit. The input jack as two tabs (for mono, which is typical in guitar setups), look to see where the tip of the plug touches and follow it back to the tab. Thats where u solder the "positive" sometimes a white wire or red. Then that leaves the empty tab which must be ground.

In your case, try switching the two wires u soldered on, should fix it.

:D:D

Merls

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the advice.

I´m gonna check it out at next band practice!

5. Why do you need to wait until band practice? It can be done at home.. takes 10 mins (if that)

Merls

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    True, but both my basses are in our practice facility. Which is about 6km(approx 4miles) from here. :)

7. You leave your basses alone? And in a practice facility... sheesh! I keep mine in my room and even then i've had one stolen.

Merls

8. Yeah.. but you live in Australia ;) :D :p

** runs away screaming like a girl, whilst being chases by Merlin and a very large axe **

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well yeah :)

We have all our gear there. The place is quite safe, if someone would want to break in he would have to go through two locked doors. ....well two doors pherhaps ain´t much..but no one knows that there´s a band up there, so ppl don´t have any reason to break in. (I hope, knock on wood).

But in case of a burglary, we have insurance which will compensate for our gear (and then some).

Edit: Dumb speeling mistakes corrected

10. I have a english mum, what makes u think i could lift a large axe in the first place? Plus i would most likely be running at u screaming like a girl :p

Merls

11. I had a similar problem on my old Washburn. I would plug in and get no sound. When I checked the socket on the bass, I found the nut that holds it tight was almost off. A couple turns with a wrench, and the ground was restored. Apparently it wasn't making contact with the grounded foil inside the body cavity.:D: