Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

input jack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Apr 1, 2001.

1. What are the signs of a input jacks going bad? Or is that even able to happen? All I know is that for some reason my bass seems to crackle alot and i'm not sure why.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's definitely a major sympton. Sometimes, you don't even get a crackle, just dead silence.

Also check your cable, perhaps with a friend's instrument, or at a store. If it still crackles after looking at those, we're talking $$$$.

3. I've tried two different cords, so how much money am I looking at?

4. rickbass

Well, I'm not sure what you're saying. If you tried two different cords and it still crackles, it would be a tech repair at a music store. That cost would depend on whether it's a simple solder job because a connection is loose, (which is what it sounds like; the vibrations generated by the sound of your strings making a connection erratic), could be as low as $20 in my neck of the woods, (midwest US).
    If it entails replacing an entire wire, that will definitely be more. I've never had it done.

If it's the cable, (one causes crackles, the other doesn't), you could get a very decent one on the web from George L's for about $20-$30, depending on the gauge of wire you want and the length of cable.

5. well, I've tried both of MY cords, not my friends (which I will eventually) anyway, when the cord is touched every once in a while it will crackle enough to make you brake something!!!

6. oh, and sometimes, when it is touched in a certain way, it doesn't make a sound!

7. rickbass

Stealth - What I'm gettin at is that the crackle happens with both of your cords. If it was my bass, I'd take the bass to a tech to check it out. I'm dangerous with tools. If you are good with them, you could take off the nut and jack plate screws, and very gently remove the jack plate to see if there is a dangling wire or one that is barelly connected.

8. now that I think about it, a guitarist friend of mine said the same thing happened to one of his guitars,but he said it had to do something with the pickups, so I will probably get them both checked out.