1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input jacks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toug, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. toug


    Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Sorry if this thread has been posted before, but I searched and searched and found a few on input jack related repair, but nothing too specific.

    I bought a bass (fender squier :D) about 4 years ago, but never picked it up a lot until about last august. After having the squire so long the input jack finally went out on me.

    Now I also have in my possesion a gibson g3 that isn't going anywhere, and I am an electrical engineering student with soldering background and a general knowledge of circuits and wiring.

    I'd rather fix the squier myself, just to learn. First question, are basses "input jack specific" or is there a standard? And secondly, I'm pretty sure it's just a basic soldering job, but are there any guides out there I should be familiar with? I googled for a while but no resutls. Thanks :)
  2. What's wrong with the jack?

    You should just be able to pop the jack out and have a look at it. May not have to be replaced, just re-soldered.
  3. toug


    Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Well, at band practice someone from out of the band plugged in a different chord because mine wasn't really working, when I pulled it out I just put my bass away and didn't even notice, the part sticking out (just like the nut) was missing and I coudln't find it anywhere...

    So I could use a new jack anyway.
  4. mikezimmerman

    mikezimmerman Supporting Member

    Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The "input jack" (really an "output jack") is just a standard 1/4" phone jack on most passive basses, and a 1/4" stereo phone jack on most active basses. Some basses do have special jacks to accommodate being mounted on the edge of the bass or whatnot, but your Squier certainly isn't one of them.

  5. Mike's right - output jack it is. You should be able to find one at an electronics or guitar store. It's just a mono 1/4" phone jack in the squire. Or you could just get a new nut. I've got a squire too, and every time I plug in/out I've got to check that the nut is tight. It's forever coming loose.
  6. toug


    Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Alright, great. Thanks guys.

Share This Page